* Saving buffers before start of compilatione
@ 2010-09-29  8:24 Markus Gessner
From: Markus Gessner @ 2010-09-29  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

is there a way to exclude certain buffers as candidates to be saved
before compiling when using M-x compile?

For example, I am asked, whether the .newsrc-dribble file, which is
generated by Gnus, should be saved before the compile is launched. As
this and potentially other files are not related to the compilation, I
wonder, whether there is a variable, which holds patterns of filenames
not to be considered for saving before compiling.

I understand, that setting the variable compilation-ask-about-save to
nil has the effect of all changed buffers being saved without asking
first, which would not be the same.

If there is no such exclusion mechanism, the only solution seems to be
to start a separate instance of Emacs for editing and compiling in order
to avoid clashes with unrelated buffers.

Thanks for hints!
Markus

* Re: Saving buffers before start of compilatione
@ 2010-09-29 10:26 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-09-29 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Markus Gessner <nospam@nospam.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> is there a way to exclude certain buffers as candidates to be saved
> before compiling when using M-x compile?

Take a look at `compilation-save-buffers-predicate'.

-ap

* Re: Saving buffers before start of compilatione
@ 2010-09-29 10:37   ` Marc Mientki
From: Marc Mientki @ 2010-09-29 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.09.2010 12:26, schrieb Andreas Politz:
> Markus Gessner<nospam@nospam.com>  writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there a way to exclude certain buffers as candidates to be saved
>> before compiling when using M-x compile?
>
> Take a look at `compilation-save-buffers-predicate'.

Exist this in Emacs 23? I can't find it.

regards
Marc

* Re: Saving buffers before start of compilatione
@ 2010-09-29 11:16     ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2010-09-29 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-09-29 12:37 +0200, Marc Mientki wrote:

> Am 29.09.2010 12:26, schrieb Andreas Politz:
>> Markus Gessner<nospam@nospam.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> is there a way to exclude certain buffers as candidates to be saved
>>> before compiling when using M-x compile?
>>
>> Take a look at `compilation-save-buffers-predicate'.
>
> Exist this in Emacs 23? I can't find it.

Me neither, this seems to be new in Emacs 24.  Maybe it's time for me to
try the trunk, since this feature seems rather useful.

Sven,
     always annoyed when Emacs asks if it should save ~/.newsrc-dribble.

* Re: Saving buffers before start of compilatione
@ 2010-09-29 11:33       ` Marc Mientki
From: Marc Mientki @ 2010-09-29 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.09.2010 13:16, schrieb Sven Joachim:

> Sven,
>       always annoyed when Emacs asks if it should save ~/.newsrc-dribble.

The same here when I compile or validate xml files and I have unsaved
buffers.

regards
Marc