* describe-text-properties: it's green, but says only "text"?
@ 2010-03-27 22:45 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-03-27 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

8mar10: describe-text-properties: it's green, but says only "text"?
  c:/Documents and Settings/David/Desktop/ntemacs23/bin:

subj: describe-text-properties: Text is green, but says only "text"?

  c:/Documents and Settings/David/Desktop/ntemacs23/bin:

So I try this one on it (from info: "30.12.3 Editing Format Information"):

`Remove Text Properties'
     Delete _all_ text properties from the region
     (`facemenu-remove-all').
and it REMOVES the GREEN!

-----------------------

Just for fun, I try this on it:
`Remove Face Properties'
     Delete from the region all face and color text properties
     (`facemenu-remove-face-props').

Same result -- removes thre green coloring.

-----------------------

So, looks like "text properties" has more than one meaning?

QUESTION: Is there a command that tells me at least as much as what get's REMOVED by
     facemenu-remove-face-props and facemenu-remove-all.

What would REALLY be cool would be this:

  Suppose something displays in green.

  And it turns out that there's THREE different things map onto green, say
  italic, bold, and heading.

  What would be cool would be if  display text properties  would be able to
  say "green (due to being one or more of: italic, bold, or heading)".

  (Implementation: slow.  So what? Who cares?  How often is it going
  to get used?  Not very -- but when that info is needed, it's
  *really* needed.)

Suggestions?

Thanks!

David

* Re: describe-text-properties: it's green, but says only "text"?
@ 2010-04-12  5:32 ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-04-12  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

PLEASE -- because colors and text-properties and fontlock, etc,
have been difficult for me to completely grasp,
could SOMEONE say something about it, and also as
relates to my post, below.

I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

David

@ 2010-04-12 16:22   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-04-12 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> PLEASE -- because colors and text-properties and fontlock, etc,
> have been difficult for me to completely grasp,
> could SOMEONE say something about it, and also as
> relates to my post, below.

I did not answer because I did not understand the question.