* tramp
@ 2002-10-01 23:59 ftrw
       [not found] ` <nq8z1hl42y.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: ftrw @ 2002-10-01 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I was using tramp last week and it worked.  Now it does not work.  I
suppose I added some new packages (w3 and gnuserv) and tweaked my
.emacs but I cannot figure out what.  Here are the symptoms:

 C-x C-f begins to find a file

 I clear the minibuffer line and type '/' <TAB> <TAB> and a
 completions list window pops up, showing me all of the files and
 directories in my / directory and all of the hosts in my
 ~/.ssh/known_hosts file.

 I can complete the machine name, as '/machine.uaf.edu:' and when
 I hit <TAB> again, I get a [no match] command.

 If I complete the file name by typing it, as
 '/machine.uaf.edu:.emacs', I get a message that says:

     'File not found and directory write-protected'

 It is trying to create a file in my root directory.  So tramp finds
 my ~/.ssh/known_hosts file ok but then the connection is not
 happening.

Thank you for any help.

Ryan

[parent not found: <mailman.1032957382.1320.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Tramp
@ 2002-09-25 12:34 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2002-09-25 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I put (setq tramp-default-method "telnet") in my .emacs file.  Now, when I
try to contact a remote machine this error is returned:

 "Args out of range: 0,0".

If I try again, I get

"File not found and directory write-protected"

I assume something is still not configured correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Roger Mason

[parent not found: <mailman.1032894380.6606.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
@ 2002-09-24  8:59 Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-09-24  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader asked:

>I'm sure, but saying `download an entirely new version of emacs' is a
>rather heavyweight solution.

As I understand it, it is not an entirely new version, in the sense that it
does not replace the basic program files for Emacs itself. But it supplies
its own version of Mule-UCS, and everything concerned with doing
XML/HTML/XSLT in international environments.

> If they've hacked emacs to do a better job of this, how did they do it?
> Did they ever try to submit their changes back to emacs?

I am not a member of the TEI Consortium, so I can't answer this. Certainly,
all the source code for what they've done is readily and openly available
for anyone interested.

All I know is that before I began to use this package, when doing mail in
Emacs (21.2), there was never any automatic recognition of any kinds of
non-Western encoding. Now it recognizes Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and
whatever, whether these be in the local encoding (JIS, Big5, etc.) or
Unicode, without me having to do "prefer-coding-system" or anything like
that. As a person working in several languages, Emacs would be of very
little use to me without this.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787