* New feature: PHP and HTML 4 editing mode
@ 2009-10-27 22:20 Gunnar Vestergaard
From: Gunnar Vestergaard @ 2009-10-27 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do I reach the developers of Emacs? Is this the right forum for
posting a feature request?

What I desire is a combined PHP and HTML 4 editing mode. That is,
syntax coloring and line wrap for each line of a PHP document which
also may contain hypertext markup between ?> and <?php tags.

And while we are at it, why not throw in Cascading Style Sheet syntax
coloring? CSS is written between <style type="text/css"> and </style>
tags in the same type of documents.

Whether to implement this in Emacs itself or to provide it as an
optional install package is an open question, from my point view at
least.

Gunnar Vestergaard
Torshavn, Faroe Islands.

* RE: New feature: PHP and HTML 4 editing mode
@ 2009-10-28 14:30 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-10-28 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gunnar Vestergaard', help-gnu-emacs

> How do I reach the developers of Emacs? Is this the right forum for
> posting a feature request?

For an enhancement request, use `M-x report-emacs-bug' (`Help > Send Bug
Report').

Enhancement requests are treated similarly to bug reports. This commmand records
your request and allows it to be tracked by the Emacs bug tracker. You will be
notified by email of the progress.

* Re: New feature: PHP and HTML 4 editing mode
@ 2009-10-28 14:50 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-10-28 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gunnar Vestergaard <post@gunnar-pv.fo> writes:

> How do I reach the developers of Emacs? Is this the right forum for
> posting a feature request?
>
> What I desire is a combined PHP and HTML 4 editing mode. That is,
> syntax coloring and line wrap for each line of a PHP document which
> also may contain hypertext markup between ?> and <?php tags.
>
> And while we are at it, why not throw in Cascading Style Sheet syntax
> coloring? CSS is written between <style type="text/css"> and </style>
> tags in the same type of documents.
>
> Whether to implement this in Emacs itself or to provide it as an
> optional install package is an open question, from my point view at
> least.
>
> Gunnar Vestergaard
> Torshavn, Faroe Islands.

Did you consider nxhtml? It has come on leaps and bounds recently and
works very well.

http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/doc/nxhtml.html

regards

r.

* Re: New feature: PHP and HTML 4 editing mode
@ 2009-10-29 18:19 Gunnar Vestergaard
From: Gunnar Vestergaard @ 2009-10-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct. 28th Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you consider nxhtml? It has come on leaps and bounds recently and
> works very well.
>
> http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/doc/nxhtml.html

I have just installed that part of it that is called nXML and that
looks very promising. And my situation will be even better when
installing nxhtml. So I must thank you for your advice.

Gunnar Vestergaard

* Re: New feature: PHP and HTML 4 editing mode
       [not found] <mailman.9618.1256737740.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-01 21:19 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2009-11-01 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gunnar Vestergaard <post@gunnar-pv.fo> writes:

> What I desire is a combined PHP and HTML 4 editing mode. That is,
> syntax coloring and line wrap for each line of a PHP document which
> also may contain hypertext markup between ?> and <?php tags.

That's backwards.  <?php ... ?> is an SGML processing instruction, and
the PHP is its content.

> And while we are at it, why not throw in Cascading Style Sheet syntax
> coloring? CSS is written between <style type="text/css"> and </style>
> tags in the same type of documents.

[It's typically better not to inline stylesheets like that, but it's
still good to have hooks for special treatment of element content in
SGML-ish modes.]

> Whether to implement this in Emacs itself or to provide it as an
> optional install package is an open question, from my point view at
> least.

The Emacs maintainers don't seem to be interested in contributed support
for PHP or multiple major modes since I was involved, but see
<URL:http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/emacs/> for both.  The PHP mode
doubtless needs work, but doesn't have the lexical problems people
complain about with others.  There's a simple html-php multi-mode based
on multi-mode.el.  I haven't had time to make it work with nXML mode.