* git mode for emacs
@ 2009-06-26 14:45 rustom
From: rustom @ 2009-06-26 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295

Im looking at dvc but its really obese and does not even have an entry
on how to configure to use the git backend!!

------------------------
Well...
I typed this and then tried google and got Richard's pages on git
+emacs. [Thanks Richard]
I tried magit and its broken under windows as is git.el
Right now I'm on linux and egg seems to be good.

Anyone with experience of egg on windows?

* Re: git mode for emacs
@ 2009-06-26 18:36 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.1332.1246053139.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-06-26 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
> I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295
>
> Im looking at dvc but its really obese and does not even have an entry
> on how to configure to use the git backend!!

There is nothing to do in DVC to configure git backend.
To configure DVC you can have a look at my init file here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/dvc-init.el

The support for git is actually really good in DVC.

NOTE : The manual is completely deprecated,
so you have better look at docstrings of functions or ask here or better
on the DVC mailing list.

Hope it help ;-)

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: git mode for emacs
@ 2009-06-26 18:57 ` Anselm Helbig
       [not found] ` <mailman.1332.1246053139.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-06-26 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

> Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
> I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295

I'm git.el (1.0), vc-git (part of emacs) and gitsum (0.2). All work
fine with Emacs 23.0.91.1 under Ubuntu here. vc-git is fine for
operations on a single file and mostly gets out of you way. git.el is
more useful when you're in "version control mode", for operations on a
the file tree. gitsum allows you to select what chunks to group into a
commit. There's no reason why you can't use several packages in
parallel and use each one what what it does best. See

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Git

for an overview.

For troubleshooting your problem: what emacs version are you using?
Did you upgrade recently? Any stale byte compiled git.elc lying
around? What happens if you start emacs without customizations
(emacs -Q) and load git.el with M-x load-file?

> Im looking at dvc but its really obese and does not even have an entry
> on how to configure to use the git backend!!
>
> ------------------------
> Well...
> I typed this and then tried google and got Richard's pages on git
> +emacs. [Thanks Richard]
> I tried magit and its broken under windows as is git.el
> Right now I'm on linux and egg seems to be good.
>
> Anyone with experience of egg on windows?

This link

http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/en/writings/emacs-vcs/EmacsGit.html#sec18

mentions that egg contains windows-specific fixes. You should try
it. 8-)

Regards,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: git mode for emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.1332.1246053139.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-26 22:14   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-06-26 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
>> I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295
>>
>> Im looking at dvc but its really obese and does not even have an entry
>> on how to configure to use the git backend!!

I too found DVC hard to use but that was a while back.

> There is nothing to do in DVC to configure git backend.
> To configure DVC you can have a look at my init file here:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/dvc-init.el
>
> The support for git is actually really good in DVC.
>
> NOTE : The manual is completely deprecated,
> so you have better look at docstrings of functions or ask here or better
> on the DVC mailing list.
>
> Hope it help ;-)
>
>> ------------------------
>> Well...
>> I typed this and then tried google and got Richard's pages on git
>> +emacs. [Thanks Richard]
>> I tried magit and its broken under windows as is git.el
>> Right now I'm on linux and egg seems to be good.
>>
>> Anyone with experience of egg on windows?

I started to write a tutorial for using DVC with emacs and
git. Unfortunately I found DVC non too intuitive compared to, say,
magit. Possibly it has come on since.

http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/git/dvc-tutorial/index

Possibly it will help.

My original favorite was egg, as it is very comprehensive if a bit
colorful.

http://github.com/bogolisk/egg/tree/master

I now use magit:

http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/

* Re: git mode for emacs
@ 2009-06-27  5:15     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-06-27  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
>>> I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295
>>>
>>> Im looking at dvc but its really obese and does not even have an entry
>>> on how to configure to use the git backend!!
>
> I too found DVC hard to use but that was a while back.
>

>> There is nothing to do in DVC to configure git backend.
>> To configure DVC you can have a look at my init file here:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/dvc-init.el
>>
>> The support for git is actually really good in DVC.
>>
>> NOTE : The manual is completely deprecated,
>> so you have better look at docstrings of functions or ask here or better
>> on the DVC mailing list.
>>
>> Hope it help ;-)
>>
>>> ------------------------
>>> Well...
>>> I typed this and then tried google and got Richard's pages on git
>>> +emacs. [Thanks Richard]
>>> I tried magit and its broken under windows as is git.el
>>> Right now I'm on linux and egg seems to be good.
>>>
>>> Anyone with experience of egg on windows?
>>>

> I started to write a tutorial for using DVC with emacs and
> git. Unfortunately I found DVC non too intuitive compared to, say,
> magit. Possibly it has come on since.
>
> http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/git/dvc-tutorial/index
>
> Possibly it will help.

Very nice, i quickly read it, it seem you speak about dvc-status in the
dvc bookmark section.
dvc-status and dvc-bookmarks are two differents things.
Or may be the section of dvc-bookmarks is just missing and you start
speaking of dvc-status just after?

C-x V b runs the command dvc-bookmarks

C-x V s runs the command dvc-status

You can add bookmarks from dired with

C-c V a runs the command dvc-bookmarks-dired-add-project

BTW is there a link in emacswiki to your tutorial?

@ 2009-06-27  5:17     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-06-27  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2009-06-27  7:36   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2009-06-27  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 26, 11:57 pm, Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig
+news2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Can anyone give some tips on which git mode works for emacs?
> > I tried git.el but it seems to be broken -- my report at
> >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/122295
>
> I'm git.el (1.0), vc-git (part of emacs) and gitsum (0.2). All work
> fine with Emacs 23.0.91.1 under Ubuntu here. vc-git is fine for
> operations on a single file and mostly gets out of you way. git.el is
> more useful when you're in "version control mode", for operations on a
> the file tree. gitsum allows you to select what chunks to group into a
> commit. There's no reason why you can't use several packages in
> parallel and use each one what what it does best. See

Partly I use windows and partly linux.
My main requirement right now is for a stable and usable git under
windows.
Maybe git is not very usable under windows? I thought it had moved on
from there. But I would like to hear if this is so.

>  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Git
>
> for an overview.
>
> For troubleshooting your problem: what emacs version are you using?
> Did you upgrade recently? Any stale byte compiled git.elc lying
> around? What happens if you start emacs without customizations
> (emacs -Q) and load git.el with M-x load-file?

Right now Im on my linux box... so responding from memory of the
windows problems with git.el
1. With a detached head (ie something was checked out 'inside' a
branch) I got
    Branch:     fatal: ref HEAD is not a symbolic ref
    in git-status. I was suggested on the git mailing list to upgrade
git.el. Did it but this problem did not go away.
2. Later on trying other commands like commit, add etc I keep getting
    Wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

Well thought I'd do a little elisp debugging on that.
When I loaded git.el with edebug-all-defs I got:
Invalid read syntax: "Expected one of", stringp, "nil"

Note: That this is something in git.el that is triggering a bug (or at
least a deficit in edebug)
I edebugged pieces of the file and came to this that
is offensive to edebug
(defstruct (git-fileinfo
            (:copier nil)
            (:constructor git-create-fileinfo (state name &optional
old-perm new-perm rename-state orig-name marked))
            (:conc-name git-fileinfo->))
  marked              ;; t/nil
  state               ;; current state
  name                ;; file name
  old-perm new-perm   ;; permission flags
  rename-state        ;; rename or copy state
  orig-name           ;; original name for renames or copies
  needs-update        ;; whether file needs to be updated
  needs-refresh)      ;; whether file needs to be refreshed

I guessed that this is not really the problem (and Im not keen on
debugging edebug) so edebugged the rest of git.el, un-edebugged this
defstruct and tried...

The error is evidently coming from a ewoc-locate

[This happens on windows and not on linux; the defstruct offending
edebug error happens on both]
Anyhow this is getting too much into the innards of emacs so I did not
pursue it further.

So let me restate my question -- How to use git with emacs under
windows?
Does vc with git backend work?
Its quite ok to use vc for simple single-file-ish stuff and drop to
the command line for more gitly stuff
But if nothing works really properly under windows I wont waste too
much time

* Re: git mode for emacs
@ 2009-06-28 14:59 grischka
From: grischka @ 2009-06-28 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rustompmody; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> So let me restate my question -- How to use git with
> emacs under windows?

I'd just make a shortcut key (and/or menu entry) to start "gitk" and
"git-gui" within the current project and be fine.  They are not perfect
but still the best gui wrappers you can probably get atm in regards
to intuitiveness and well though out feature set.

--- grischka