* how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-15 11:34 Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-15 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want get a file's content.  I didn't find the right function.

I has RTFM.  there is only a function which can read file's content to
the buffer's position.

thanks for your help.

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-15 12:07 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2004-09-15 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <uacvrix5e.fsf@yahoo.com.cn.discuss>,
 Rokia <Rokiadd@yahoo.com.cn.discuss> wrote:

> I want get a file's content.  I didn't find the right function.
>
> I has RTFM.  there is only a function which can read file's content to
> the buffer's position.

What you generally do is load the file into a buffer and process it
there.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-15 12:10 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-09-15 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Rokia <Rokiadd@yahoo.com.cn.discuss>
> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:34:05 +0800
>

> I want get a file's content.  I didn't find the right function.
>
> I has RTFM.  there is only a function which can read file's content to
> the buffer's position.

If you mean insert-file-contents, then that's how you read a file into
Emacs.  Please explain why this is not good for you, and someone will
show you how to overcome the difficulties.

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-15 12:53 ` Miguel Frasson
From: Miguel Frasson @ 2004-09-15 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia <Rokiadd@yahoo.com.cn.discuss> writes:

> I want get a file's content.  I didn't find the right function.
>
> I has RTFM.  there is only a function which can read file's content to
> the buffer's position.
>
> thanks for your help.

find-file (C-x C-f) is the more common way to read the file's content
(into a NEW buffer). Try to see the `File' menu.

--
Miguel Vinicius Santini Frasson
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~frasson

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-15 16:03   ` Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

what I want to do is reading a file's content into a string
variable. like this.

(setq dddstring (foo-read-file "dd.txt"))
(prin1 dddstring)

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-15 17:30     ` Henrik Enberg
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2004-09-15 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia <Rokiadd@yahoo.com.cn.discuss> writes:

> what I want to do is reading a file's content into a string
> variable. like this.
>
> (setq dddstring (foo-read-file "dd.txt"))
> (prin1 dddstring)

(setq dddstring (with-temp-buffer
		  (insert-file-contents "dd.txt")
		  (buffer-string)))

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-15 18:10     ` John Sullivan
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2915.1095289010.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John Sullivan @ 2004-09-15 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia <Rokiadd@yahoo.com.cn.discuss> writes:

> what I want to do is reading a file's content into a string
> variable. like this.
>
> (setq dddstring (foo-read-file "dd.txt"))
> (prin1 dddstring)

I'm not trustworthy on these matters, but here's a once-tested
quickie:

(defun foo-read-file (full-filename)
  "Read a file and return foo-file as a string."
  (with-temp-buffer
    (insert-file-contents full-filename)
    (buffer-string)))

This should work with the syntax you used.

-John

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

@ 2004-09-16  0:50       ` Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-16  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

thank you very much.

this is exactly what I want. :)

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-16  1:25         ` Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-16  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

???
why was my name changed??

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
@ 2004-09-16  2:17           ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2004-09-16  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <uhdpzc8dm.fsf@yahoo.com.cn.discuss>,

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: how to read file's content using elisp?
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2915.1095289010.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-16 10:43     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-09-16 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Rokia <Rokiadd@yahoo.com.cn.discuss>
> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:03:09 +0800
>

> what I want to do is reading a file's content into a string
> variable.

That is actually not a very good idea in Emacs Lisp.  In Emacs Lisp,
it is much easier to manipulate text in a buffer than to manipulate
text in a string.  For starters, buffers are managed memory-wise much
more efficiently (so the code that uses a buffer is generally faster),
and there are many functions that only work on buffers.

So I suggest to redesign the solution to whatever problem you are
trying to deal with, such that you use a buffer (perhaps a temporary
one) instead of a string.

What problem was that, anyway?