* Unwanted highlighting after cross-buffer paste
@ 2008-12-24 17:46 kj
From: kj @ 2008-12-24 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I do a cross-buffer cut-and-paste from a buffer with syntax
highlighting to one that doesn't have any highlighting I find that
the highlighting from the source buffer is preserved, which I don't
want.

I have not been able to find a way to get rid of this "imported"
highlighting, other than killing the buffer and revisiting the
file, which is pretty annoying.  E.g. "M-x fundamental-mode" won't
do it.

Is there a simpler way of getting rid of this unwanted highlighting
(or of avoiding it in the first place)?

TIA!

Kynn

* Re: Unwanted highlighting after cross-buffer paste
@ 2008-12-25  3:18 ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2008-12-25  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 24 Dec 2008, kj wrote:

> Is there a simpler way of getting rid of this unwanted highlighting

`font-lock-fontify-buffer' should re-fontify the whole buffer,
stripping out the unneeded bits.

> (or of avoiding it in the first place)?

Take a look at what it is that's killing the text in the first place;
if it's `copy-region-as-kill', you may want to re-write it to use
buffer-string-no-properties instead of buffer-string (or use some
around advice that temporarily fsets buffer-string to be
buffer-string-no-properties, but I'm not sure how to un-fset it).

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
    Ramblings of a Gay Man => http://www.northbound-train.com/ramblings
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: Unwanted highlighting after cross-buffer paste
@ 2008-12-25  4:13 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-12-25  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

kj wrote:
> When I do a cross-buffer cut-and-paste from a buffer with syntax
> highlighting to one that doesn't have any highlighting I find that
> the highlighting from the source buffer is preserved, which I don't
> want.
>
> I have not been able to find a way to get rid of this "imported"
> highlighting, other than killing the buffer and revisiting the
> file, which is pretty annoying.  E.g. "M-x fundamental-mode" won't
> do it.
>
> Is there a simpler way of getting rid of this unwanted highlighting
> (or of avoiding it in the first place)?

(add-to-list 'yank-excluded-properties 'face)

-ap

@ 2008-12-25  4:24   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-12-25  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Casadonte; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 20:18, Joe Casadonte
<jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> wrote:
> ... I'm not sure how to un-fset it).

flet?

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly causing further
suffering and death by opposing biomedical research on this serious

* Re: Unwanted highlighting after cross-buffer paste
@ 2008-12-25 18:03   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-12-25 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <ur63xrlgo.fsf@terrapin.northbound-train.com>,
 "Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> wrote:

> On 24 Dec 2008, kj wrote:
>
> > Is there a simpler way of getting rid of this unwanted highlighting
>
> `font-lock-fontify-buffer' should re-fontify the whole buffer,
> stripping out the unneeded bits.
>
> > (or of avoiding it in the first place)?
>
> Take a look at what it is that's killing the text in the first place;
> if it's `copy-region-as-kill', you may want to re-write it to use
> buffer-string-no-properties instead of buffer-string (or use some
> around advice that temporarily fsets buffer-string to be
> buffer-string-no-properties, but I'm not sure how to un-fset it).

It sounded like he's just using C-w or M-w, not a command of his own.

I also find it annoying.  I frequently like to cut and paste from
*Occurs* or *grep* buffers, and the attributes are out of place in the
new buffer.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Unwanted highlighting after cross-buffer paste
@ 2009-01-04 16:37   ` kj
From: kj @ 2009-01-04 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In <1230178467.934601@arno.fh-trier.de> Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

>(add-to-list 'yank-excluded-properties 'face)

Thanks, that did the trick perfectly.

Kynn