* How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh
@ 2008-11-05 14:14 Ruohao Li
       [not found] ` <mailman.2940.1225898050.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ruohao Li @ 2008-11-05 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm in shell mode, logged in on another machine over ssh, and I want to
do some 'crontab -e' editing on that machine. But that will bring up a
new editor, which is whatever you set in your EDITOR env variable, and
both vi and emacs cannot be used in this dumb shell. How can I edit the
crontab in my emacs session?

* Re: How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh
@ 2008-11-05 15:13 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2940.1225898050.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruohao Li; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.11.2008 um 15:14 schrieb Ruohao Li:

> How can I edit the crontab in my emacs session?

Log-in to that computer in a *term* session? Starting emacs-server
and setting EDITOR to emacsclient?

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

@ 2008-11-05 17:11   ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-11-05 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Log-in to that computer in a *term* session? Starting emacs-server
> and setting EDITOR to emacsclient?

i think Peter answered your question, but rather cryptically.

emacs's shell (Alt+x shell) is not designed to be a terminal emulator.
You won't be able to start a emacs inside it. So, you probably better
off with “Alt+x term” or “Alt+x terminal-emulator”, then you can do
your ssh and “crontab -e”.

i don't recommend using emacs as a terminal emulator, because once in
that mode, basic emacs keybindings you are used to won't work anymore
because you told it to behave as terminal emulator. If you need to ssh
to another machine, prob best to it in a real terminal emulator.

PS aynone know what's the diff between “Alt+x term” and “Alt+x
terminal-emulator”?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh
       [not found] <mailman.2926.1225894506.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-11-06  1:57 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-11-06  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.2926.1225894506.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Ruohao Li <mouse.emacs@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in shell mode, logged in on another machine over ssh, and I want to
> do some 'crontab -e' editing on that machine. But that will bring up a
> new editor, which is whatever you set in your EDITOR env variable, and
> both vi and emacs cannot be used in this dumb shell. How can I edit the
> crontab in my emacs session?

Set EDITOR on the remove system to a line editor instead of a visual
editor, e.g. ed or ex.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh
@ 2008-11-06  2:03   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-11-06  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <mailman.2926.1225894506.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  Ruohao Li <mouse.emacs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm in shell mode, logged in on another machine over ssh, and I want to
>> do some 'crontab -e' editing on that machine. But that will bring up a
>> new editor, which is whatever you set in your EDITOR env variable, and
>> both vi and emacs cannot be used in this dumb shell. How can I edit the
>> crontab in my emacs session?
>
> Set EDITOR on the remove system to a line editor instead of a visual
> editor, e.g. ed or ex.

create the crontab on the remote machine, open it using tramp from your
machine, edit and save and then reinstall it. That or simply enable x
forwarding so running emacs on the remote bring up emacs gtk/x on your
main machine editing your cron file on the remote.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970