From: Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 03:03:58 +0100	[thread overview]

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <mailman.2926.1225894506.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  Ruohao Li <mouse.emacs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm in shell mode, logged in on another machine over ssh, and I want to
>> do some 'crontab -e' editing on that machine. But that will bring up a
>> new editor, which is whatever you set in your EDITOR env variable, and
>> both vi and emacs cannot be used in this dumb shell. How can I edit the
>> crontab in my emacs session?
>
> Set EDITOR on the remove system to a line editor instead of a visual
> editor, e.g. ed or ex.

create the crontab on the remote machine, open it using tramp from your
machine, edit and save and then reinstall it. That or simply enable x
forwarding so running emacs on the remote bring up emacs gtk/x on your
main machine editing your cron file on the remote.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970