* Trying to find the origin of strange decoding of binary files
@ 2008-11-05  7:30 Nordlöw
       [not found] ` <mailman.2915.1225876667.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-11-05  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying to find the source of very annoying delay I get when I,
often accidentally, open binary files in Emacs. It does not occur in
Vanilla Emacs so it has to do with some extension I added long ago.
When I open a binary file Emacs hangs for at least half a minute on my
fast computer (AMD64 Athlon X2 4200+), becomes extremely slow and the
resulting buffer often contains lots of chinese letters. How can I
prevent this from happening? Where should I start to search? What
variables and structures control how the character encoding is guessed
and how characters are decoded?

As my Emacs config is huge I thought I would ask for help here first
before I do a binary-searched activate/deactivate in my .emacs which
is very time-consuming.

Many thanks in advance,
Nordlöw

* Re: Trying to find the origin of strange decoding of binary files
@ 2008-11-05  9:17 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.2915.1225876667.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-11-05  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw wrote:
> I am trying to find the source of very annoying delay I get when I,
> often accidentally, open binary files in Emacs. It does not occur in
> Vanilla Emacs so it has to do with some extension I added long ago.
> When I open a binary file Emacs hangs for at least half a minute on my
> fast computer (AMD64 Athlon X2 4200+), becomes extremely slow and the
> resulting buffer often contains lots of chinese letters. How can I
> prevent this from happening? Where should I start to search? What
> variables and structures control how the character encoding is guessed
> and how characters are decoded?

(info "(emacs)Recognize Coding")

> As my Emacs config is huge I thought I would ask for help here first
> before I do a binary-searched activate/deactivate in my .emacs which
> is very time-consuming.

Anything in there related to language environment, locale environment,
or coding system preference?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-11-05 10:37   ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-11-05 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 Nov, 10:17, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nordlöw wrote:
> > I am trying to find the source of very annoying delay I get when I,
> > often accidentally, open binary files in Emacs. It does not occur in
> > Vanilla Emacs so it has to do with some extension I added long ago.
> > When I open a binary file Emacs hangs for at least half a minute on my
> > fast computer (AMD64 Athlon X2 4200+), becomes extremely slow and the
> > resulting buffer often contains lots of chinese letters. How can I
> > prevent this from happening? Where should I start to search? What
> > variables and structures control how the character encoding is guessed
> > and how characters are decoded?
>
> (info "(emacs)Recognize Coding")
>
> > As my Emacs config is huge I thought I would ask for help here first
> > before I do a binary-searched activate/deactivate in my .emacs which
> > is very time-consuming.
>
> Anything in there related to language environment, locale environment,
> or coding system preference?
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers
> Denver, Colorado, USA