* Emacs as C IDE
@ 2008-10-21 15:46 Lorenzo Isella
       [not found] ` <mailman.1724.1224605545.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lorenzo Isella @ 2008-10-21 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear All,
I am working on a fairly large (for my standards) C project. I have to
browse different .c and .h files and sometimes I feel lost. It would
be wonderful, when looking at a single file, being able to "visualize"
(maybe in a different window) its skeleton: structures, functions
etc... or to collapse them in the view of the original file.
I have not found what I am looking for, but I cannot believe that
nobody has ever taken steps in this direction.
I should add I am using cc-mode right now,
Many thanks

Lorenzo

* Re: Emacs as C IDE
@ 2008-10-21 16:12 ` Lave
       [not found] ` <mailman.1724.1224605545.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lave @ 2008-10-21 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lorenzo Isella; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

There is a project called ECB. Maybe that's what you want. But I never
used it, so can't give other advice.

http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

--
Lave

* Re: Emacs as C IDE
       [not found] ` <mailman.1724.1224605545.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-21 16:26   ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2008-10-21 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Lave> There is a project called ECB. Maybe that's what you want. But I never
    Lave> used it, so can't give other advice.

    Lave> http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

Yep, that's the one you should have a look at. It makes use of CEDET:

     http://cedet.sourceforge.net/

("a collection of tools written with the end goal of creating an advanced
development environment in Emacs")

For finding your way through the code, I still use Cscope under Emacs:

    http://cscope.sourceforge.net/

Alternatively, GNU Global is quite useful and has an Emacs front end, too.

              http://www.gnu.org/software/global/

              http://home.tiscali.de/mgidde/source/xgtags.el

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www.withouthat.org/~toto/contact.html

Cats, as a rule, don't like lawyers. They have great insight into
human character.

Friedman, Kinky (1993), Greenwich Killing Time. New York (Wings
Books), 48

* Re: Emacs as C IDE
       [not found] <mailman.1719.1224604025.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-21 20:16 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2008-10-21 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> Dear All, I am working on a fairly large (for my standards) C
> project. I have to browse different .c and .h files and sometimes I
> feel lost. It would be wonderful, when looking at a single file,
> being able to "visualize" (maybe in a different window) its skeleton:
> structures, functions etc... or to collapse them in the view of the
> original file. I have not found what I am looking for, but I cannot
> believe that nobody has ever taken steps in this direction. I should
> add I am using cc-mode right now, Many thanks

Possibilities I use:

- selective-display can collapse code by level

- speedbar allows file and function browsing in a separate frame

- imenu allows jumping to a function using a GUI menu

(Since it's emacs, there are probably 10 more.)

@ 2008-10-22 12:54 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-10-22 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Lorenzo Isella" <lorenzo.isella@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear All,
> I am working on a fairly large (for my standards) C project. I have to
> browse different .c and .h files and sometimes I feel lost. It would
> be wonderful, when looking at a single file, being able to "visualize"
> (maybe in a different window) its skeleton: structures, functions
> etc... or to collapse them in the view of the original file.
> I have not found what I am looking for, but I cannot believe that
> nobody has ever taken steps in this direction.
> I should add I am using cc-mode right now,
> Many thanks
>
> Lorenzo

As well as tags and cscope you should look at xref. Far and away better
than anything else out there I think for code navigation with emacs.

http://www.xref.sk/xrefactory/main.html

The C version is free now.

In addition there is ecb and semantic - it can get confusing as to what
is what as there are so many options! Unfortunately I think you might be
a little disappointed as the features do not compare to things like
Visual Studio and Eclipse in my opinion.

--
I am sorry to say that there is too much point to the wisecrack that life is extinct on other planets because their scientists were more advanced than ours.  ~John F. Kennedy