* OK -- I accept your advice to PC-install the "native" emacs. Please, EXACT instructions
@ 2008-10-06 23:29 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-10-06 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, I want to truy the native emacs (on the PC)  (I have cygwin there already).

Since it isn't my own computer, but my wife's, which she depends
on absolutely for her work (web-site design), I want to get
instructions from the horse's mouth(s).

Also, note that it'll be she who does the physical install.

1: I already have cygwin installed --

   AND ALSO ITS OWN EMACS.   (which I've been playing with --
   am tired of that narrow black-window -- am used on my computer
   with full-screen emacs, of course).

2: So, must the CURRENT emacs be removed, or can it just stay there?

3: if it has to be removed, how to do it?

   (note, it was installed along with the cygwin stufff,
    by simply answering yes to its emacs-instal question).

4: EXACT URL where the native-emacs is.  No, I don't want
   to rely on google -- you guys know EXACTLY which I should use!

   (no chance for screwup!)  :-)

5: anything else?

THANKS!

David

* Re: OK -- I accept your advice to PC-install the "native" emacs. Please, EXACT instructions
@ 2008-10-06 23:58 ` Chetan
From: Chetan @ 2008-10-06 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> OK, I want to truy the native emacs (on the PC)  (I have cygwin there already).
>
> Since it isn't my own computer, but my wife's, which she depends
> on absolutely for her work (web-site design), I want to get
> instructions from the horse's mouth(s).
>
> Also, note that it'll be she who does the physical install.
>

> 1: I already have cygwin installed --
>
>    AND ALSO ITS OWN EMACS.   (which I've been playing with --
>    am tired of that narrow black-window -- am used on my computer
>    with full-screen emacs, of course).
>
> 2: So, must the CURRENT emacs be removed, or can it just stay there?
>

> 3: if it has to be removed, how to do it?
>
>    (note, it was installed along with the cygwin stufff,
>     by simply answering yes to its emacs-instal question).
>

> 4: EXACT URL where the native-emacs is.  No, I don't want
>    to rely on google -- you guys know EXACTLY which I should use!
>
>    (no chance for screwup!)  :-)
>
> 5: anything else?
>

> THANKS!
>

> David
Just how long have been using emacs?

* Re: OK -- I accept your advice to PC-install the "native" emacs. Please, EXACT instructions
@ 2008-10-07  0:44 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-07  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Combs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo

@ 2008-10-07  3:15 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2008-10-07  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Combs wrote:
> OK, I want to truy the native emacs (on the PC)  (I have cygwin there already).
>
> Since it isn't my own computer, but my wife's, which she depends
> on absolutely for her work (web-site design), I want to get
> instructions from the horse's mouth(s).
>
> Also, note that it'll be she who does the physical install.
>

> 1: I already have cygwin installed --
>
>    AND ALSO ITS OWN EMACS.   (which I've been playing with --
>    am tired of that narrow black-window -- am used on my computer
>    with full-screen emacs, of course).
>
> 2: So, must the CURRENT emacs be removed, or can it just stay there?

No, it can stay but you may have to adjust your path enviroment variable
depending on how you invoke emacs. I have two shortcuts on desktop to
native binaries, one emacsq with target:

C:\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe -Q

and another emacs with target:

C:\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe

> 3: if it has to be removed, how to do it?
>
>    (note, it was installed along with the cygwin stufff,
>     by simply answering yes to its emacs-instal question).
>

> 4: EXACT URL where the native-emacs is.  No, I don't want
>    to rely on google -- you guys know EXACTLY which I should use!

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-22.3-bin-i386.zip

or possibly more stable:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-22.2-bin-i386.zip

Unzip with absolute paths option.

>    (no chance for screwup!)  :-)

Your mileage may vary.

> 5: anything else?

Yes. ;-)

@ 2008-10-08 22:28   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-10-08 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <uej2ttgxg.fsf@myhost.sbcglobal.net>,
Chetan  <Chetan.xspam@xspam.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>Just how long have been using emacs?

Why do you ask?

Ages.  For AGES.  Decades, anyway.

Doesn't mean that I *know* anything, though!

(Probably 1% of what most of you here do.)

Actually, at first I was using the emacs that had the
user manual with rms on a gnu (or ordinary cow, was it --
I forget) jumping over the moon.   The one written
in (mit) teco.  Used it on first a dec-10 then a dec-20
with "twenex" os.

@ 2008-10-08 22:33   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-10-08 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs