* Compiling org-mode for NT Emacs
@ 2008-09-23 11:50 paul.mead
From: paul.mead @ 2008-09-23 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I'm trying to use a later version of org-mode than the one that
comes with NT Emacs (because that version doesn't support columns)

I thought I'd be able to use the cygwin tools to compile this, but the
makefile is naturally configured for use on a *nix machine rather than
windows. I guess I'm probably going to need to use a compiler native
to windows.

Has anyone done this before? Could anyone provide or point to any
howto's on doing this?

Also, I'm unlikely to be able to compile directly on the machine in
question (work machine - loading a compiler might incur the wrath of
the usage policy) - is it possible to compile on another windows
machine and copy the files?

Currently I'm running the new version interpreted and it's pretty
slow...

Cheers
Paul

* Re: Compiling org-mode for NT Emacs
@ 2008-09-23 12:25 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-09-23 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"paul.mead" <paul.d.mead@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm trying to use a later version of org-mode than the one that
> comes with NT Emacs (because that version doesn't support columns)
>
> I thought I'd be able to use the cygwin tools to compile this, but the
> makefile is naturally configured for use on a *nix machine rather than
> windows. I guess I'm probably going to need to use a compiler native
> to windows.
>
> Has anyone done this before? Could anyone provide or point to any
> howto's on doing this?
>
> Also, I'm unlikely to be able to compile directly on the machine in
> question (work machine - loading a compiler might incur the wrath of
> the usage policy) - is it possible to compile on another windows
> machine and copy the files?
>
> Currently I'm running the new version interpreted and it's pretty
> slow...
>
> Cheers
> Paul

I don't know what order you'd have to do them in (although it might not
matter if you've loaded the files interpreted), but you can probably
just go to the dir with the code in using dired and hit B on each file.

I haven't got the code here, but I suspect the makefile just
bytecompiles each of the files.

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

* Re: Compiling org-mode for NT Emacs
@ 2008-09-23 12:39   ` paul.mead
From: paul.mead @ 2008-09-23 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 23, 1:25 pm, Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I'm trying to use a later version of org-mode than the one that
> > comes with NT Emacs (because that version doesn't support columns)
>
> > I thought I'd be able to use the cygwin tools to compile this, but the
> > makefile is naturally configured for use on a *nix machine rather than
> > windows. I guess I'm probably going to need to use a compiler native
> > to windows.
>
> > Has anyone done this before? Could anyone provide or point to any
> > howto's on doing this?
>
> > Also, I'm unlikely to be able to compile directly on the machine in
> > question (work machine - loading a compiler might incur the wrath of
> > the usage policy) - is it possible to compile on another windows
> > machine and copy the files?
>
> > Currently I'm running the new version interpreted and it's pretty
> > slow...
>
> > Cheers
> > Paul
>
> I don't know what order you'd have to do them in (although it might not
> matter if you've loaded the files interpreted), but you can probably
> just go to the dir with the code in using dired and hit B on each file.
>
> I haven't got the code here, but I suspect the makefile just
> bytecompiles each of the files.
>
> Rupert
>
>  application_pgp-signature_part
> < 1KViewDownload

Rupert, thanks - that worked perfectly. I selected all the files using
'* s ' and hit B and it piled through the whole list.

Cheers
Paul