* SVN vs RCS - How do I disable svn version control in favour of RCS
@ 2008-09-17 10:22 Marc Armstrong
From: Marc Armstrong @ 2008-09-17 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am currently working on a project which uses SVN as the primary
version control system. However I like to use RCS for my local version
control during development. Therefore, I typically would like to check
out a complete build of software from our archives (using the tortoise
tool), develop my software using emacs and RCS to control the changes I
make, then check the final product back  into subversion repository.

My problem is that the files, which are already under svn control are
recognized as such by emacs due to the local '.svn' directory, meaning I
can't use RCS. I would appreciate very much if someone could advise me
how to tell emacs to ignore the svn directory?

Best Regards,

Marc Armstrong.

* Re: SVN vs RCS - How do I disable svn version control in favour of RCS
       [not found] <mailman.19410.1221656227.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-09-17 16:15 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-09-17 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:22:57 +0100, "Marc Armstrong" <m.armstrong@pelamiswave.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am currently working on a project which uses SVN as the primary
> version control system. However I like to use RCS for my local version
> control during development. Therefore, I typically would like to check
> out a complete build of software from our archives (using the tortoise
> tool), develop my software using emacs and RCS to control the changes
> I make, then check the final product back into subversion repository.
>
> My problem is that the files, which are already under svn control are
> recognized as such by emacs due to the local '.svn' directory, meaning
> I can't use RCS. I would appreciate very much if someone could advise
> me how to tell emacs to ignore the svn directory?

In Emacs 23.X (perhaps also in the released 22.X versions) you can
customize the value of `vc-handled-backends':

,---[ C-h v vc-handled-backends RET ]----------------------------------

`----------------------------------------------------------------------

@ 2008-09-17 18:35 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19421.1221678926.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2008-09-17 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marc Armstrong пишет:
> Hello,
>

> I am currently working on a project which uses SVN as the primary
> version control system. However I like to use RCS for my local version
> control during development. Therefore, I typically would like to check
> out a complete build of software from our archives (using the tortoise
> tool), develop my software using emacs and RCS to control the changes I
> make, then check the final product back  into subversion repository.
>
> My problem is that the files, which are already under svn control are
> recognized as such by emacs due to the local ‘.svn’ directory, meaning I
> can’t use RCS. I would appreciate very much if someone could advise me
> how to tell emacs to ignore the svn directory?
>

> Best Regards,
>

> Marc Armstrong.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Local-Version-Control.html

* Re: SVN vs RCS - How do I disable svn version control in favour of RCS
@ 2008-09-17 19:11   ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19421.1221678926.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-09-17 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gavenkoa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> Marc Armstrong пишет:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I am currently working on a project which uses SVN as the primary
>> version control system. However I like to use RCS for my local
>> version control during development. Therefore, I typically would
>> like to check out a complete build of software from our archives
>> (using the tortoise tool), develop my software using emacs and RCS
>> to control the changes I make, then check the final product back
>> into subversion repository.
>>
>> My problem is that the files, which are already under svn control
>> are recognized as such by emacs due to the local ‘.svn’ directory,
>> meaning I can’t use RCS. I would appreciate very much if someone
>> could advise me how to tell emacs to ignore the svn directory?

Hi,
AFAIK RCS is not the right tool is you want to develop a multi files
project.

SVN work very well inside emacs.

But

If you really don't want to use SVN look at mercurial, git or bzr.
You have tools like tailor or hg convert to convert your SVN repository.
You can also work with really good tools like hg qpatch if you use mercurial.
When your work is finish you can convert your work to SVN and commit
your changes to the central repo.

But with RCS i think it will be impossible.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

@ 2008-09-18 16:28     ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2008-09-18 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto пишет:
> If you really don't want to use SVN look at mercurial, git or bzr.
> But with RCS i think it will be impossible.

Yea, I completely OK.

Among DVCS I found mercurial most pretty.

In hgbook.pdf special Chapter discuss about that problem
"Chapter 12. Managing change with Mercurial Queues.
12.1 The patch management problem".

I dont know if there exist mode for emacs, that operate with
Mercurial Queues, but you may use it now directly throw
C-x shell-command.