In article , Maurí­cio wrote: >Nikolaj Schumacher a écrit : >> Maurí­cio wrote: >> >>> Is it possible to set something >>> in .emacs so that emacs will >>> always, no matter what, save any >>> file in utf-8 (even those that >>> were not utf-8 when they were >>> open)? >> >> Yes, edit `file-coding-system-alist'. But I'd leave some of the >> exceptions (e.g. ".elc") in there. >> >> >> regards, >> Nikolaj Schumacher >> >> >> > >I just added this to my .emacs: > >(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8) >(modify-coding-system-alist 'file ".*" 'utf-8) > >Is it the proper way of doing that? (Sorry, >beginner question…) I get this same question, "what coding system?", sometimes, like sometimes when grabbing some text from a wikipedia entry. Not knowing anything about these coding systems, their history, etc, I haven't a clue as to what to answer! For someone like me often grabbing ascii[-like?] files from eg wikipedia, would a choice of utf-8 be reasonable? Again, it's for what seems and looks to me (on screen) like plain old ascii. And what would you have me stick into my .emacs, then? THANK YOU! David