* disable split frame while viewing manual pages?
@ 2008-06-17 17:57 peter360
From: peter360 @ 2008-06-17 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Wonder if someone could help me resolve this minor annoyance.

I like to view unix online manual pages in emacs (using M-x man).  But one
annoying thing is that the buffer is split vertically (into top and botton
frames) and the man page shows in the bottom frame.  As far as I know xemacs
does not do this by default.  In xemacs the man page buffer simply replaces
the current buffer and occupies the entire frame.  How can I get gnu emacs
to do the same thing?

thanks.

* Re: disable split frame while viewing manual pages?
@ 2008-06-18 14:24 ` David Hansen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13514.1213809954.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2008-06-18 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:57:43 -0700 (PDT) peter wrote:

> Wonder if someone could help me resolve this minor annoyance.
>
> I like to view unix online manual pages in emacs (using M-x man).  But one
> annoying thing is that the buffer is split vertically (into top and botton
> frames) and the man page shows in the bottom frame.  As far as I know xemacs
> does not do this by default.  In xemacs the man page buffer simply replaces
> the current buffer and occupies the entire frame.  How can I get gnu emacs
> to do the same thing?

M-x customize-variable Man-notify-method

David

* Re: disable split frame while viewing manual pages?
@ 2008-06-18 17:25   ` peter360
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13514.1213809954.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: peter360 @ 2008-06-18 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Tried that but got "no match" in the minibuffer.   Should I just set it in my
.emacs file?  What value should I set it to?  Thanks.

@ 2008-06-18 17:35     ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-06-18 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

peter360 <peter360@fastmail.us> writes:

> Tried that but got "no match" in the minibuffer.  Should I just set
> it in my .emacs file?  What value should I set it to?  Thanks.

Try doing M-x man first (you don't have to get past the minibuffer
prompt). This will load up the lazy-loaded libraries and define
Man-notify-method for you.

Then you'll get completion (and a list of possible values) for M-x
customize-variable. (Because defcustom/defvar don't clobber existing
values, the setting from this will work in future, even though it gets
read at emacs load, before man load)

Rupert

* Re: disable split frame while viewing manual pages?
@ 2008-06-18 17:36     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-18 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter360; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.06.2008 um 19:25 schrieb peter360:

> Tried that but got "no match" in the minibuffer.   Should I just
> set it in my
> .emacs file?  What value should I set it to?  Thanks.

Create a *Man <whatever>* buffer, type C-h m in it and then visit the
new *Help* buffer. From here you have access to this variable.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs

* Re: disable split frame while viewing manual pages?
@ 2008-06-20 21:32       ` peter360
From: peter360 @ 2008-06-20 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Worked!  Thanks!