* Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-01-31 12:30 Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2008-01-31 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a task list mode that will find tags like TODO/XXX/FIXME in
source files in a directory, make them into tasks and allow me to edit
them/reorder them in the task list?

I understand that Eclipse and Visual Studio can provide at least some of
the functionality listed above. The best I can do thus far is the use of
M-x multi-occur, which is useful but does not allow me to simply
reorder/sort/edit.

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
       [not found] <mailman.6800.1201782916.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-01  7:22 ` Tim X
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6845.1201883637.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2008-02-01  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> Is there a task list mode that will find tags like TODO/XXX/FIXME in source
> files in a directory, make them into tasks and allow me to edit
> them/reorder them in the task list?
>
> I understand that Eclipse and Visual Studio can provide at least some of
> the functionality listed above. The best I can do thus far is the use of
> M-x multi-occur, which is useful but does not allow me to simply
> reorder/sort/edit.

I don't know of one, but it sounds like a useful tool!

What I do is keep my 'todo' stuff in an .org file using remember
mode. This is quite useful as you get all the benefits of org mode (now
bundled with emacs 22) and using remember mode means you have links to
the document the todo refers to. The only downside is that the todo is
not actually in the file it is associated with (though you might be able
to make remember mode do this with some hacking).

Org mode provides some useful reporting tools that may provide the
sorting/presentation aspects you would like.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-01 16:33   ` Michael Hoffman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6845.1201883637.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2008-02-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X wrote:
> Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a task list mode that will find tags like TODO/XXX/FIXME in source
>> files in a directory, make them into tasks and allow me to edit
>> them/reorder them in the task list?
>>
>> I understand that Eclipse and Visual Studio can provide at least some of
>> the functionality listed above. The best I can do thus far is the use of
>> M-x multi-occur, which is useful but does not allow me to simply
>> reorder/sort/edit.
>>

> I don't know of one, but it sounds like a useful tool!

Maybe I will have to write it one day. Probably after my thesis is done. :)

I've looked at org-mode and it looks pretty neat although not meeting
the whole wish list I am envisioning.

@ 2008-02-04  8:13     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2008-02-04  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

> I've looked at org-mode and it looks pretty neat although not
> meeting the whole wish list I am envisioning.

... which is what?

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-04 17:32       ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2008-02-04 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I've looked at org-mode and it looks pretty neat although not
>> meeting the whole wish list I am envisioning.
>
> ... which is what?

Well, a lot of it was in the part of the previous message that you snipped.

@ 2008-02-14 21:01 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2008-02-14 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a task list mode that will find tags like TODO/XXX/FIXME in
> source files in a directory, make them into tasks and allow me to edit
> them/reorder them in the task list?
>
> I understand that Eclipse and Visual Studio can provide at least some of
> the functionality listed above. The best I can do thus far is the use of
> M-x multi-occur, which is useful but does not allow me to simply
> reorder/sort/edit.

Put in .emacs
(setq  grep-find-command "find . -type f ! -path '*.svn*' ! -path
'*CVS*' ! -path '*.hg*' -name '*' -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH ")

and type
C-x grep-find XXX\|TODO\|FIXME

It find in all file and subdirectories from current dir of buffer.

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-14 23:18   ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2008-02-14 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

> (setq  grep-find-command "find . -type f ! -path '*.svn*' ! -path
> '*CVS*' ! -path '*.hg*' -name '*' -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH ")
>
> and type
> C-x grep-find XXX\|TODO\|FIXME

Should be M-x I think. A very useful suggestion!

What I ended up doing was using org-mode. To keep links with places in
the original file, I made a keyboard macro that replaced the old TODOs
with #1, #2, #3, etc. and copied them to the org file with a link back
to the location of #1 in the original file.

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-15  6:44     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-02-15  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
>
>> (setq  grep-find-command "find . -type f ! -path '*.svn*' ! -path
>> *CVS*' ! -path '*.hg*' -name '*' -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH ")
>>
>> and type
>> C-x grep-find XXX\|TODO\|FIXME
>
> Should be M-x I think. A very useful suggestion!
>
> What I ended up doing was using org-mode. To keep links with places in
> the original file, I made a keyboard macro that replaced the old TODOs
> with #1, #2, #3, etc. and copied them to the org file with a link back
> to the location of #1 in the original file.

Planner and remember do that without writing anything in the file:
when you are in your file you just C-x C-n to be able to take a note
linked to that point in the file.
--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-15 12:16       ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2008-02-15 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
> Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:
>
>> What I ended up doing was using org-mode. To keep links with places in
>> the original file, I made a keyboard macro that replaced the old TODOs
>> with #1, #2, #3, etc. and copied them to the org file with a link back
>> to the location of #1 in the original file.
>>
> Planner and remember do that without writing anything in the file:
> when you are in your file you just C-x C-n to be able to take a note
> linked to that point in the file.

Thanks, but I want a method that will be robust to changes in the linked
file. I do not understand how this is possible without adding anchors in
the linked file somehow.

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-15 12:39         ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-15 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>> Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What I ended up doing was using org-mode. To keep links with places in
>>> the original file, I made a keyboard macro that replaced the old TODOs
>>> with #1, #2, #3, etc. and copied them to the org file with a link back
>>> to the location of #1 in the original file.
>>>
>> Planner and remember do that without writing anything in the file:
>> when you are in your file you just C-x C-n to be able to take a note
>> linked to that point in the file.
>
> Thanks, but I want a method that will be robust to changes in the linked
> file. I do not understand how this is possible without adding anchors in
> the linked file somehow.

If I understand correctly, what you want is some kind of multi-remember:
you want to be able to create multiple links from the current buffer and
store those links somewhere in an Org file.

Maybe you can have something near by using a clever template:

(setq org-remember-templates
      '(("Code" ?c"* %T%?\n\n%(my-list-of-todo-links)"
         "~/org/annotation.org" "Code")

With `my-list-of-todo-links' creating a list of links to all the
locations where you have a TODO in the buffer, resulting in:

- TODO #1: [[~/buffre::(defun foo][My foo defun to debug]]
- TODO #2: [[~/buffre::(defun bar][My bar defun to debug]]
- ...

This is bit as if you replace the %a in the template by a %(sexp)
doing the job of harvesting several links.

The only problem with this is that remember this won't get rid of such
previously remembered items (hence the %T in the template.)  You would
have to delete/archive them by hand.

HTH

--
Bastien

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-15 18:58         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-02-15 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>> Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What I ended up doing was using org-mode. To keep links with places in
>>> the original file, I made a keyboard macro that replaced the old TODOs
>>> with #1, #2, #3, etc. and copied them to the org file with a link back
>>> to the location of #1 in the original file.
>>>
>> Planner and remember do that without writing anything in the file:
>> when you are in your file you just C-x C-n to be able to take a note
>> linked to that point in the file.
>
> Thanks, but I want a method that will be robust to changes in the
> linked file. I do not understand how this is possible without adding
> anchors in the linked file somehow.

It is robust. And you can also create tasks from your file that are
linked to the exact line where you want to work .
Without adding any anchors!

I use also flymake in python that hightlight errors , warnings, and also
all the lines that match TODO or FIXME. (in blue like warnings)

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-15 19:32           ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2008-02-15 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
> Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:
>
>> Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

>>> Planner and remember do that without writing anything in the file:
>>> when you are in your file you just C-x C-n to be able to take a note
>>> linked to that point in the file.
>> Thanks, but I want a method that will be robust to changes in the
>> linked file. I do not understand how this is possible without adding
>> anchors in the linked file somehow.
>
> It is robust. And you can also create tasks from your file that are
> linked to the exact line where you want to work .
> Without adding any anchors!

I do not understand how this would work. How does remember know where
the link is to if I change the file?

* Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
@ 2008-02-15 21:02             ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-02-15 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hoffman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>> Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:

>>> Thanks, but I want a method that will be robust to changes in the
>>> linked file. I do not understand how this is possible without adding
>>> anchors in the linked file somehow.
>>
>> It is robust. And you can also create tasks from your file that are
>> linked to the exact line where you want to work .
>> Without adding any anchors!
>
> I do not understand how this would work. How does remember know where
> the link is to if I change the file?

From your task in planner you can go to the place in your file where you
want to work , do that you have to do, (add 20 lines for example), create a new task
at the place you stop. Then mark the precedent task as done.etc...
You can also make a link from your task to a note in planner about your
modifications, and make only a note from the place in your file you are
working saying now i work at this place (20 lines further) etc...

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu