* Tragedy
@ 2008-10-06 15:55 Adolfo De Unanue
From: Adolfo De Unanue @ 2008-10-06 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi every one,

I still have the problem with eshell,
But I just updated from CVS, builded, and after some time I restarted my
machine, and .... :(

I lost my fonts! I dont see anything except little blocks in yellow (I
am using the color-theme) and little rectangles with border :( I can
see some letters, but not all of them... So, in a nutshell my emacs is
useless in this moment!

What can I do?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Please help!

Adolfo

* Re: Tragedy
@ 2008-10-06 16:47 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-10-06 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adolfo De Unanue; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Adolfo De Unanue wrote:
> Hi every one,
>
> I still have the problem with eshell,
> But I just updated from CVS, builded, and after some time I restarted my
> machine, and .... :(
>
> I lost my fonts! I dont see anything except little blocks in yellow (I
> am using the color-theme) and little rectangles with border :( I can
> see some letters, but not all of them... So, in a nutshell my emacs is
> useless in this moment!
>
> What can I do?
>

> Any suggestions are welcome!
>
> Please help!

To begin with rename your .emacs and see if that helps.

* Re: Tragedy
@ 2008-10-06 17:30 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-06 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adolfo De Unanue; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.10.2008 um 17:55 schrieb Adolfo De Unanue:

> What can I do?

Check the configure options. Launch GNU Emacs in some terminal
emulation and read about these options and the background.

It's faster to check the configure options of your elder GNU Emacs
version and apply these to your new build.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your
mind.
	- D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

* Re: Tragedy
       [not found] <mailman.379.1223308471.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-07  0:01 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2008-10-07  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 6, 5:55 pm, Adolfo De Unanue <adolf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I still have the problem with eshell,
> But I just updated from CVS, builded, and after some time I restarted my
> machine, and .... :(
>
> I lost my fonts! I dont see anything except little blocks in yellow (I
> am using the color-theme) and little rectangles with border :( I can
> see some letters, but not all of them... So, in a nutshell my emacs is
> useless in this moment!
> Any suggestions are welcome!

Hi!

Have a look at  this thread at gnu.emacs-devel:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/104319

-- Quote from Manoj Srivastav --

        On CVS emacs compiled today (and perhaps yesterday as well),
 running M-x color-theme-<theme-name> mucks up the fonts; in emacs
lisp
 buffers like *scratch*, all commented characters show up as square
 boxes. Uncommenting them maks them show up. Not running the color-
theme
 command does not mess up the display.

-- Quote ends --

This sounds related.
So they are working on it.
Maybe you can help solving the problem?

@ 2008-10-07  7:35 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-10-07  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Adolfo De Unanue <adolfoaz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi every one,
>
> I still have the problem with eshell,
> But I just updated from CVS, builded, and after some time I restarted my
> machine, and .... :(
>
> I lost my fonts! I dont see anything except little blocks in yellow (I
> am using the color-theme) and little rectangles with border :( I can
> see some letters, but not all of them... So, in a nutshell my emacs is
> useless in this moment!
>
> What can I do?
>

> Any suggestions are welcome!

May or may not be of use, but I encountered the same problem after
updating CVS emacs last Thursday. The solution I found that works under
X is to add

Emacs.FontBackend: xft

to my .Xresources file.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Tragedy
@ 2008-10-07  7:55   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-10-07  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 7, 12:35 pm, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> May or may not be of use, but I encountered the same problem after
> updating CVS emacs last Thursday. The solution I found that works under
> X is to add
>
> Emacs.FontBackend: xft
>
> to my .Xresources file.
>
> Tim
>
> --
> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

Hi Tim
Can you explain a little what that does?
A little context for asking:
1. Ive been running emacs (21 and 22) for a while under debian etch
and ubuntu dapper. Some of the settings of background color etc are
set in Xresources. And every once in a while -- quite randomly -- it
does not work.

2. Recently upgraded the dapper to hardy. Now 'snapshot' is not 22 but
23.  Supposedly the font support is better there but in fact it looks
distinctly worse.

3. When upgrading from dapper to hardy the upgrade broke on xfonts-
scalable.  A little googling told me the problem is evidently in
xfonts-utils.  Trying to set that up broke everything and I had to
give up upgrading and go for a new install.

* Re: Tragedy
@ 2008-10-08  6:33     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-10-08  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 7, 12:35 pm, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>> May or may not be of use, but I encountered the same problem after
>> updating CVS emacs last Thursday. The solution I found that works under
>> X is to add
>>
>> Emacs.FontBackend: xft
>>
>> to my .Xresources file.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> --
>> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
>
> Hi Tim
> Can you explain a little what that does?
> A little context for asking:
> 1. Ive been running emacs (21 and 22) for a while under debian etch
> and ubuntu dapper. Some of the settings of background color etc are
> set in Xresources. And every once in a while -- quite randomly -- it
> does not work.
>
> 2. Recently upgraded the dapper to hardy. Now 'snapshot' is not 22 but
> 23.  Supposedly the font support is better there but in fact it looks
> distinctly worse.
>
> 3. When upgrading from dapper to hardy the upgrade broke on xfonts-
> scalable.  A little googling told me the problem is evidently in
> xfonts-utils.  Trying to set that up broke everything and I had to
> give up upgrading and go for a new install.

Current emacs cvs (aka emacs 23) has support for True Type and anti-aliased fonts and
specifying of fonts using the fontconfig or gtk font naming style. It
can also support otf and m17n for complex fonts needing more advanced
rendering support.

The line

Emacs.FontBackend: xft

tells emacs to use libxft for font rendering. this will give
anti-aliased fonts etc. So now, I can specify my font like

emacs -fn "DejaVu Sans Mono-12"

If you are finding your not getting good fonts, then its likely that
either you need to select a better font or you need to install some of
the True Type fonts e.g. font packages starting with ttf-

The xfonts-* packages are not TrueType fonts - they are the older X
windows fonts and on the whole, are not as nice looking as the TT
fonts.

You should look at the News file that comes with the emacs-snapshot
package - all of this is outlined there and often has pointers to more
information.

HTH

Tim

--