* perl mode problems
@ 2006-07-20  1:21 Ryan Moszynski
From: Ryan Moszynski @ 2006-07-20  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

emacs 21.4.1 debian/ubuntu dapper

does anyone else have constant problems with perl-mode?

i have problems with reserved words not being recognized, parenthese
and and braces matching is terrible, and sometimes, inexplicably, I
have to put an extra ' or " after a comment so that emacs doesn't
thighlight the rest of my program as a comment.

In every other way emacs works wonderfully for me.  I've never had
these problems in c-mode or java-mode.  Should I try cvs emacs, or is
there a way to upgrade just the perl mode and paren, curly braces
matching?

thanks,

ryan

* Re: perl mode problems
@ 2006-07-20  8:42 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-20  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.07.2006 um 03:21 schrieb Ryan Moszynski:

> does anyone else have constant problems with perl-mode?

Have you tried cperl-mode?

--
Greetings

   Pete

fools.

* Re: perl mode problems
       [not found] <mailman.4272.1153642838.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-24  8:15 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-07-24  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ryan Moszynski" <ryan.m.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> emacs 21.4.1 debian/ubuntu dapper
>
> does anyone else have constant problems with perl-mode?
>
> i have problems with reserved words not being recognized, parenthese
> and and braces matching is terrible, and sometimes, inexplicably, I
> have to put an extra ' or " after a comment so that emacs doesn't
> thighlight the rest of my program as a comment.
>
> In every other way emacs works wonderfully for me.  I've never had
> these problems in c-mode or java-mode.  Should I try cvs emacs, or is
> there a way to upgrade just the perl mode and paren, curly braces
> matching?
>
> thanks,
>
> ryan

Try cperl-mode and see if you find it better. It comes with emacs.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: perl mode problems
@ 2006-07-24 14:53   ` Eric Pement
From: Eric Pement @ 2006-07-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X wrote:

> Try cperl-mode and see if you find it better. It comes with emacs.

I had some highlighting problems with the cperl-mode that came with
emacs, and found that that version is not up to date.

The latest version of cperl-mode is kept at
http://math.berkeley.edu/~ilya/software/emacs/

I downloaded version 5.19, installed it in my "site-lisp" directory,
and my highlighting problems were solved.

--
Eric Pement