* problem customizing nov
@ 2024-06-16  9:26 John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2024-06-16  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.  I would like to customize gnome, so the unzipped files go into a
private directory rather than /tmp whose contents get deleted out from
under me every so often.  Seems like I should use some argument to
unzip, but I can't figure out what to use.  The currentt unzip args
says
Hide nov-unzip-args: '("-od" directory filename)
but I am not sure how to change it to do what I need.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: problem customizing nov
@ 2024-06-16  9:58 ` Jon Fineman
From: Jon Fineman @ 2024-06-16  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: covici, help-gnu-emacs

John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> writes:

> Hi.  I would like to customize gnome, so the unzipped files go into a
> private directory rather than /tmp whose contents get deleted out from
> under me every so often.  Seems like I should use some argument to
> unzip, but I can't figure out what to use.  The currentt unzip args
> says
> Hide nov-unzip-args: '("-od" directory filename)
> but I am not sure how to change it to do what I need.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> --
> Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
> How do
> you spend it?
>
>          John Covici wb2una
>          covici@ccs.covici.com

On OpenBSD this worked for me. Other files in addition to nov files
end up there, but I was ok with that. You have to create the
directories ahead of time.

(setq temporary-file-directory "~/tmp/emacs/temp/")

* Re: problem customizing nov
@ 2024-06-16 16:43   ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2024-06-16 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Fineman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Works fine --- thanks a lot.

@ 2024-06-16 17:57     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2024-06-16 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Covici, Jon Fineman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Why not try mkdir workshop then for the unzip commands,
unzip  -t file.zip
unzip -d /home/johnc/workshop file.zip
then check contents of your workshop directory.

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.