* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2003-04-07 15:35 ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-04-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I gave her my finger, but she wanted my arm...  ;-)

Kai, I like your tips.

Hope we'll see more of them,
Robert

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2003-04-07 17:00   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

> I gave her my finger, but she wanted my arm...  ;-)
>
> Kai, I like your tips.

I've been collecting them; maybe the splash screen thing can be
implemented someday.

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2003-04-07 18:47   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-04-07 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

> I gave her my finger, but she wanted my arm...  ;-)
>
> Kai, I like your tips.

His fingertips?

> Hope we'll see more of them,

You want his arm?

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2003-04-07 19:28     ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-04-07 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:
>
>> I gave her my finger, but she wanted my arm...  ;-)
>>
>> Kai, I like your tips.
>
> His fingertips?
>
>> Hope we'll see more of them,
>
> You want his arm?

I'd prefer his brains
and his ability to help so many people all over the world :-)

Robert

* Tip of the day
@ 2007-06-24 20:32 Adam
From: Adam @ 2007-06-24 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

There was a note on planet.emacsen.org regarding a
"Tip of the Day" prompt.

I can't see any totd in the Emacs manual, or via
C-H help. It sounds a nice idea though.

Can anyone advise if or where there's a
Tip of the Day package for Emacs.

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2007-06-24 20:43 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-06-24 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Adam <nospam@example.com> writes:

Hi Adam,

> There was a note on planet.emacsen.org regarding a "Tip of the Day"
> prompt.
>
> I can't see any totd in the Emacs manual, or via C-H help. It sounds a
> nice idea though.

The code was provided in the blog article. Here it is:

(defun totd ()
  (interactive)
  (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Tip of the day*"
    (let* ((commands (loop for s being the symbols
                           when (commandp s) collect s))
           (command (nth (random (length commands)) commands)))
      (princ
       (concat "Your tip for the day is:n"
               "========================nn"
               (describe-function command)
               "nnInvoke with:nn"
               (with-temp-buffer
                 (where-is command t)
                 (buffer-string)))))))

Bye,
Tassilo
--
When Chuck Norris plays Monopoly, it affects the actual world economy.

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2007-06-24 21:58   ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2007-06-24 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Tassilo.

Forgive my ignorance, I suppose really I was wanting
to give that function a test-run, by not including it
in my startup file, but by entering it into my Emacs
session. Then running (totd) or M-x totd

Then including in .emacs, and binding to a key later.

Is this possible, by entering the function into
the *scratch* buffer and evaluating it somehow.

Or should I be in a buffer of a more of an
interactive mode?

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2007-06-24 22:51     ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2007-06-24 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-06-24, Adam <nospam@example.com> wrote:

> Thanks Tassilo.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, I suppose really I was wanting
> to give that function a test-run, by not including it
> in my startup file, but by entering it into my Emacs
> session. Then running (totd) or M-x totd
>
> Then including in .emacs, and binding to a key later.
>
> Is this possible, by entering the function into
> the *scratch* buffer and evaluating it somehow.

Yes, if you copy the function to scratch, move the cursor to the line
after the end of the function, you can evaluate it with C-x C-e. You can
then run the code with M-x totd <ret> or M-: (totd) <ret>.

Note that you should probably change the 'n' values in the concat
strings to '\n' to get properly formatted output.

HTH,

Tyler

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2007-06-24 23:13       ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2007-06-24 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes, if you copy the function to scratch, move the cursor to the line
> after the end of the function, you can evaluate it with C-x C-e. You can
> then run the code with M-x totd <ret> or M-: (totd) <ret>.

Ah ha.  I was placing the cursor at the opening
bracket of the function - and getting an "End of
file during parsing" error.

[Maybe its the Slime C-x C-e that works at either end].

> Note that you should probably change the 'n' values in the concat
> strings to '\n' to get properly formatted output.

Yes - correcting the 4 instances of that make
it comfortably legible.

Wonderful. Many thanks.

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2007-06-25  6:58       ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2007-06-25  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes, if you copy the function to scratch, move the cursor to the line
> after the end of the function, you can evaluate it with C-x C-e. You can
> then run the code with M-x totd <ret> or M-: (totd) <ret>.
>
> Note that you should probably change the 'n' values in the concat
> strings to '\n' to get properly formatted output.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tyler

Hi,
Thanks for describing this here, I wondered about the n's ... Now it
really looks good!
Greetz,
Christian

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2007-06-25  9:20         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-06-25  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christian Herenz <herenz@physik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

Hi,

>> Note that you should probably change the 'n' values in the concat
>> strings to '\n' to get properly formatted output.
>
> Thanks for describing this here, I wondered about the n's ... Now it
> really looks good!

Ups, I simply copy&pasted it from the web page planet.emacsen.org. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck  Norris did  not  "lose" his  virginity,  he stalked  it and  then
destroyed it with extreme prejudice.