* Emacs does not work with new Dell Display
@ 2006-11-13 18:19 Johs
From: Johs @ 2006-11-13 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just changed to a Dell 2007 WFP 20" widescreen display, but when I
try to open emacs in Ubuntu it looks like this:

http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic1.png

http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic2.png

I have tried to remove my .emacs file but it does not help. Is emacs limited
to work with certain displays?

* Re: Emacs does not work with new Dell Display
@ 2006-11-13 18:32 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-11-13 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johs wrote:
> I have just changed to a Dell 2007 WFP 20" widescreen display, but when I
> try to open emacs in Ubuntu it looks like this:
>
> http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic1.png
>
> http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic2.png
>
> I have tried to remove my .emacs file but it does not help. Is emacs limited
> to work with certain displays?

That should work.  It looks like an X11 driver bug to me, or some
missing X11 fonts.

Do other Xt/Xaw programs work?  Try opening xman or xpdf.

If it's the font press shift+mouse1 over the frame and see if selecting
another works.

* Re: Emacs does not work with new Dell Display
@ 2006-11-14  1:09 ` François-Denis Gonthier
From: François-Denis Gonthier @ 2006-11-14  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Johs> I have just changed to a Dell 2007 WFP 20" widescreen
    Johs> display, but when I try to open emacs in Ubuntu it looks
    Johs> like this:

    Johs> http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic1.png

    Johs> http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic2.png

    Johs> I have tried to remove my .emacs file but it does not
    Johs> help. Is emacs limited to work with certain displays?

Your display is not to blame.  There is a bug in the Emacs21 package
in Debian and Ubuntu.  I don't know the exact solution to your problem
but it's in there:

Don't be fooled by the 'unreproducible' tag.  I've heard many people
have had that problem

F-D

* Re: Emacs does not work with new Dell Display
@ 2006-11-14 12:09 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-11-14 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Johs" <gjh@sdfsf.com> writes:

> I have just changed to a Dell 2007 WFP 20" widescreen display, but when I
> try to open emacs in Ubuntu it looks like this:
>
> http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic1.png
>
> http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic2.png
>
> I have tried to remove my .emacs file but it does not help. Is emacs limited
> to work with certain displays?

If your running under X, I doubt it is a problem with emacs not being
able to display on a wide screen as I think from the emacs
perspective, it is unaware of that level of physical information (i.e.
this type of issue is handled by the X server).

The square boxes are usually a sign emacs is having trouble finding
the right fonts. Try other fonts and see if you get a similar problem.

FWIW I'm running a 24 inch Dell wide screen with absolutely no
problems with either emacs 21 or emacs 22. I'm running under Debian -
in fact, I have this configuration on two different systems (at home
and at work) with two different video cards (one intel, one ati) and
previously had it working with a gforce2. I've used various different
fonts - courier, lucidatypwriter, fixed etc. On one system, I'm
running a font server, but on the other I'm just running with a
fontpath in the xorg.conf file.

hth

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Emacs does not work with new Dell Display
@ 2006-11-14 14:43   ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2006-11-14 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X wrote:
> "Johs" <gjh@sdfsf.com> writes:
>
> > I have just changed to a Dell 2007 WFP 20" widescreen display, but when I
> > try to open emacs in Ubuntu it looks like this:
> >
> > http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic1.png
> >
> > http://www.tulsoba.com/pictures/pic2.png
> >
> > I have tried to remove my .emacs file but it does not help. Is emacs limited
> > to work with certain displays?
> >

> If your running under X, I doubt it is a problem with emacs not being
> able to display on a wide screen as I think from the emacs
> perspective, it is unaware of that level of physical information (i.e.
> this type of issue is handled by the X server).
>
> The square boxes are usually a sign emacs is having trouble finding
> the right fonts. Try other fonts and see if you get a similar problem.
>
> FWIW I'm running a 24 inch Dell wide screen with absolutely no
> problems with either emacs 21 or emacs 22. I'm running under Debian -
> in fact, I have this configuration on two different systems (at home
> and at work) with two different video cards (one intel, one ati) and
> previously had it working with a gforce2. I've used various different
> fonts - courier, lucidatypwriter, fixed etc. On one system, I'm
> running a font server, but on the other I'm just running with a
> fontpath in the xorg.conf file.

This problem is the interaction of Emacs and X.org config.  It can
affect Debian and Ubuntu.  See the Debian bug
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=352811 and the Ubuntu
bug https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/53038.
There has been quite a lot of discussion about where to best fix it.
See the threads for details.

It affects every part of X on the relevant distributions.  Type
"xfontsel" to see what I mean.
The problem is fonts used to be in /usr/share/X11/fonts/ now they are
in /usr/share/fonts/X11/, the config file xorg.conf was not updated to
reflect this change.

Dave Love wrote a patch to fix it:
http://librarian.launchpad.net/4860914/diff