* Open files by moving cursor over the path name in a buffer and a key troke
@ 2006-09-25  4:10 CloudStrife
       [not found] ` <mailman.7379.1159200909.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: CloudStrife @ 2006-09-25  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I would like to implement the following feature:
 If there is a filename within one buffer, I would like
 to open this file just by moving the point over that
 filename and hitting a special keystroke.

THere is a similar thread in this group that deals with this topic but
inspite of reading it and tring it didnot herlp. hrer is what happened

####### say this is some buffer########
source /tools/linux/directory/foo.tcl

######## Buffer ends ##############

Now i would like to open the file by positioning my cursor over
"/tools/linux/directory/foo.tcl" at any point and open it either in the
same buffer or preferably another buffer.
What was suggested in the thread was to use M-X find-file-at-point
RETURN
but this is behaving exactly like C-X C-F and the mini buffer is asking
for the file name. I donot know what is happening. please enlighten
Thanks in adavance
-Cloud

* Re: Open files by moving cursor over the path name in a buffer and a   key troke
@ 2006-09-25 16:13 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.7379.1159200909.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-09-25 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

CloudStrife wrote:
>  I would like to implement the following feature:
>  If there is a filename within one buffer, I would like
>  to open this file just by moving the point over that
>  filename and hitting a special keystroke.
>
> THere is a similar thread in this group that deals with this topic but
> inspite of reading it and tring it didnot herlp. hrer is what happened
>
> ####### say this is some buffer########
> source /tools/linux/directory/foo.tcl
>
> ######## Buffer ends ##############
>
> Now i would like to open the file by positioning my cursor over
> "/tools/linux/directory/foo.tcl" at any point and open it either in the
> same buffer or preferably another buffer.
> What was suggested in the thread was to use M-X find-file-at-point
> RETURN
> but this is behaving exactly like C-X C-F and the mini buffer is asking
> for the file name. I donot know what is happening. please enlighten
> Thanks in adavance
> -Cloud

So your complaint is that `M-x find-file-at-point' requires you to
type RET to confirm that /tools/linux/directory/foo.tcl is the file
you want to visit?

(BTW, if you run `M-x ffap-bindings', then `C-x C-f' will run
find-file-at-point for you instead of find-file and `C-x 4 f' will
run ffap-other-window instead of find-file-other-window.)

--
Kevin

@ 2006-09-26  3:26   ` CloudStrife
From: CloudStrife @ 2006-09-26  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

No. after "M-X find-file-at-point RET" even though the cursor in the
buffer(not mini-buffer) is on "source /tools/linux/directory/foo.tcl"
it doesnot open it. Instead it gives the same output (in mini-buffer)
as "C-X C-F" as in asking me to type in the name of the file.
Am i able to make myself clear? if no ill try posting thumbnails if it
can be done.
Santosh

@ 2006-09-26 14:41     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-09-26 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"CloudStrife" <santosh.iitm2002@gmail.com> writes:

> No. after "M-X find-file-at-point RET" even though the cursor in the
> buffer(not mini-buffer) is on "source /tools/linux/directory/foo.tcl"
> it doesnot open it.

Does the file "/tools/linux/directory/foo.tcl" exist?

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Open files by moving cursor over the path name in a buffer and a key troke
@ 2006-09-27  3:48       ` CloudStrife
From: CloudStrife @ 2006-09-27  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes it exists.
Cloud