* how to *find news, doc, etc* on cvs emacs?
@ 2006-07-26 22:05 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2006-07-26 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

First, I use lynx as browser (knows not javascript).

I've gone to the savannah (cvs) emacs site, but that
seemed to get me nowhere.

What I want, before grabbing it (cvs emacs), is to
see some doc on it, maybe NEWS,  Any idea of where
to find this?

BTW, here's what I was told some time ago (a year ago?),
about downloading the actual cvs sources -- are they
still correct?:

[] emacs: ********* how to grab the cvs version of emacs

I asked this earlier, I recall, but cannot find the answer
anywhere.  Sorry.

 | dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
 |
 | > Could someone show me some
 | > "for total-dummies" recipe for actually grabbing the CVS emacs?
 |
 | cd into the directory you would like the emacs sources to be in.
 | (for example, I put all my cvs snarfed programs into /build)
 |
 | then type:
 | cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
 |
 | when you are prompted for a password just press return.
 | (the password for anonymous access is the empty string)
 |
 | then type:
 | cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
 | (co means checkout)
 |
 | bingo!  you should have an emacs source tree.
 |
 | Read emacs/INSTALL-CVS, especially:
 |
 | Some of the files that are included in the Emacs tarball, such as
 | byte-compiled Lisp files, are not stored in the CVS repository.
 | Therefore, to build from CVS you must run "make bootstrap"
 | instead of just "make":
 |
 |   $ ./configure
 |   $ make bootstrap
 |

 | After some time has passed you might want to update your sources, to
 | get recent changes.  I'm not sure what is the best way to do that,
 | but a straightforward way is to type:
 | -more- http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
 |

 | After some time has passed you might want to update your sources, to
 | get recent changes.  I'm not sure what is the best way to do that,
 | but a straightforward way is to type:
 |
 | cvs up
 |
 | from within the emacs directory.

Thanks!

David

* Re: how to *find news, doc, etc* on cvs emacs?
@ 2006-07-26 22:54 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-07-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4168

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/EmacsFromCVS

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: how to *find news, doc, etc* on cvs emacs?
@ 2006-07-26 22:59 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2006-07-26 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not certain this is what you want, but try
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/etc/NEWS?root=emacs&view=auto
--
Hamburgers!  The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.
        -- Jules {From "Pulp Fiction"}