* Anyone use scim-bridge.el with Chinese?
@ 2008-09-10  5:16 Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2008-09-10  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, everybody!

I found a extension named 'scim-bridge' is a SCIM bridge client for GNU
Emacs.
And it can use SCIM to input CJK languages.

It's homepage:
http://www11.atwiki.jp/s-irie/pages/12.html

It's screenshoot:
http://www11.atwiki.jp/s-irie/pages/14.html.

And i have configure it along with author, but i can't make it work with
Chinese.

And anyone know how to make it work with Chinese?

Or anyone know Japanese can tell me author's email? I can't understand
Japanese. Author's name is S. Irie.

Thank you very much! :)

Andy.

* Re: Anyone use scim-bridge.el with Chinese?
@ 2008-09-12  6:12 ` irieshinsuke
From: irieshinsuke @ 2008-09-12  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Sorry, I have not written the documents other than Japanese yet.

Did any error messages come out?

I guess that you don't use scim-bridge, which was originally developed
in order to solve the C++ ABI problems.
scim-bridge.el communicates with SCIM through the scim-bridge agent
using UNIX domain socket, therefore it can not work without the agent.
Is scim-bridge installed?

Or, you might don't inhibit XIM from taking over the key events.
To do this, for example, add a line into ~/.Xresources file:

   Emacs*useXIM: false

And execute the command in a terminal:

   xrdb ~/.Xresources

or restart X server.

Please report again if it doesn't work well.

S. Irie

* Re: Anyone use scim-bridge.el with Chinese?
@ 2008-09-13  6:18   ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2008-09-13  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Irie!

I have install scim-bridge.

And I have write ~/.Xdefaults (I think this file have same effect as
~/.Xresources) with:

   Emacs*useXIM: false

Then xrdb ~/.Xdefaults

And I configure scim-bridge with:

(require 'scim-bridge)
(require 'scim-bridge-ja)
(scim-define-common-key ?\C-\  nil)
(scim-define-common-key ?\C-/ nil)
(setq scim-adjust-window-x-position 'gnome)
(scim-mode t)

And everything looks okay.

But when I use functions `scim-anthy-reconvert-region' and
`scim-transfer-romaji-into-preedit', it's can't work.

`scim-anthy-reconvert-region' will get message:

"SCIM: <S-henkan> is undefined"

`scim-transfer-romaji-into-preedit' will get message:

"SCIM: <zenkaku-hankaku> is undefined"

I think the setup of variables `scim-anthy-reconversion-event' and
`scim-toggle-input-method-event' is wrong.

So, make scim-bridge works with Chinese just setup `scim-anthy-reconversion-event' and
`scim-toggle-input-method-event' with right value or other thing?

Have a file likes `scim-bridge-zh.el' ?

Regards.

Andy.

    irieshinsuke> Hi,
    irieshinsuke> Sorry, I have not written the documents other than Japanese yet.

    irieshinsuke> Did any error messages come out?

    irieshinsuke> I guess that you don't use scim-bridge, which was originally developed
    irieshinsuke> in order to solve the C++ ABI problems.
    irieshinsuke> scim-bridge.el communicates with SCIM through the scim-bridge agent
    irieshinsuke> using UNIX domain socket, therefore it can not work without the agent.
    irieshinsuke> Is scim-bridge installed?

    irieshinsuke> Or, you might don't inhibit XIM from taking over the key events.
    irieshinsuke> To do this, for example, add a line into ~/.Xresources file:

    irieshinsuke> Emacs*useXIM: false

    irieshinsuke> And execute the command in a terminal:

    irieshinsuke> xrdb ~/.Xresources

    irieshinsuke> or restart X server.

    irieshinsuke> Please report again if it doesn't work well.

    irieshinsuke> S. Irie

* Re: Anyone use scim-bridge.el with Chinese?
@ 2008-09-13 22:58     ` S. Irie
From: S. Irie @ 2008-09-13 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ah ... I don't recommend `scim-bridge-ja.el' to the non-Japanese
users.

The person who cannot understand Japanese should not use this file
because
the documentation strings of the customization variables and the
functions
are replaced with another ones written in Japanese.

This file also contains two commands, namely `scim-anthy-reconvert-
region'
and `scim-transfer-romaji-into-preedit', which were provided for the
Japanese users and are maybe useful for only them.

Since `scim-anthy-reconvert-region' strongly depends on the function
of
Japanese IM-Engine SCIM-Anthy, it is useless except the Anthy users.

On the other hand, `scim-transfer-romaji-into-preedit' might be useful
also for the Chinese users who use SCIM-pinyin. Here, `romaji' means
alphabetical characters in Japanese. The actions of this function are
read (and delete) the alphabetical ascii character string from the
left
of the cursor in current buffer and to insert it into the event queue
`unread-command-events' as a key sequence. The option
`scim-toggle-input-method-event' specifies an additional key sequence
which is put to the head of the event queue to start SCIM. If this
option
is nil, no key sequence is added. If a Chinese user uses this command,
I suggest setting this option to nil:

   (setq scim-toggle-input-method-event nil)

By the way, the option `scim-adjust-window-x-position' need not
usually
be set in .emacs file (or custom-mode). With the default setting, the
conversion window should be displayed at correct position.

This is an example of settings suitable for the Chinese users:

   (require 'scim-bridge)
   (scim-define-common-key ?\C-\  nil)
   (scim-define-common-key ?\C-/ nil)
   (scim-mode t)

The settings of keybinding can be written in one line together:

   (require 'scim-bridge)
   (scim-define-common-key [?\C-\  ?\C-/]  nil)
   (scim-mode t)

Unfortunately, `scim-bridge-zh.el' doesn't exist because I cannot
understand Chinese :P

S. Irie

* Re: Anyone use scim-bridge.el with Chinese?
@ 2008-09-16  0:04       ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2008-09-16  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    S> This is an example of settings suitable for the Chinese users:

    S> (require 'scim-bridge)
    S> (scim-define-common-key ?\C-\  nil)
    S> (scim-define-common-key ?\C-/ nil)
    S> (scim-mode t)

Hi, Irie!

Thanks for your replay. :)

I use scim-pinyin for Chinese input method.
And I have to setup your recommend configuration.
But i can't input anything Chinese.

Now many key is binding function `scim-handle-event' (like 'a', 'b',
SPACE, etc.)

    S> Unfortunately, `scim-bridge-zh.el' doesn't exist because I cannot
    S> understand Chinese :P

Can you release develop document about how to write scim-bridge
interface to other LANGUAGE?

I want to help you to write `scim-bridge-zh.el' !

@ 2008-09-19  2:20         ` S. Irie
From: S. Irie @ 2008-09-19  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hmm ... It is strange that you cannot input anything in Chinese. When
I tested scim-mode on Linux distributions (Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9,
etc.), it worked without trouble by using SCIM-pinyin in any case.
This problem might not depend which language you use.

Sorry, I cannot find the cause of the problem, with only the
information which was shown up to now. I would like to know the more
detailed situation.

Here are some questions I would like you to answer:

* Did you set the keybinding for `Trigger' in the `Frontend' section
of `SCIM Input Method Setup' tool to any key event other than Control
+space? Otherwise, you must remove `(scim-define-common-key ?\C-\
nil)' from .emacs file in order to be able to start SCIM.

* Do any error messages come out by loading/using `scim-bridge.el'? If
so, what kind of errors are they?

* What value is bound to the variable `scim-imcontext-id'? If the
IMContext is registered successfully, its ID number is set to this
variable as a string. (ex. "5", "12", etc.) Otherwise, the value keeps
nil and any key events are not sent to SCIM.

* Did you test .emacs file which contains only scim-mode settings in
order to examine whether there is elisp conflicting with scim-mode?

* Which version of Emacs, which operating system, and which desktop
environment have you used?

I will add the template file for `scim-bridge-??.el' to the next
release of `scim-bridge.el'. In the current version, the functions
used for localization is included in not `scim-bridge.el' but `scim-
bridge-ja.el', even though some of these functions which can be
commonly used for all languages should be included in `scim-
bridge.el'. Thank you very much for your proposal!

Anyway, it is necessary for the program to work correctly first of
all.

S. Irie

* Re: Anyone use scim-bridge.el with Chinese?
@ 2008-10-04  9:14           ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2008-10-04  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Irie!

I have transform a Chinese version of scim-bridge-zh.el in my
attachment.
Perhaps some word is not very exactly. :)

But, unfortunately.

I can't make scim-bridge.el works with my emacs.
Below is details:

------------------------------> Details start <------------------------------

Operationg System:
        Debian testing.

Desktop Environment:
        GNOME

Emacs Version:
        Emacs CVS 23.0.60.1 (build at 2008-09-27)

I have set Emacs*useXIM: false in ~/.Xdefaults and use command "xrdb ~/.Xdefaults" to update.

I make below configuration in ~/.emacs and startup with emacs -Q

(require 'scim-bridge-zh)
(scim-define-common-key (kbd "C-SPC") nil)
(scim-define-common-key (kbd "C-\\") nil)
(setq scim-cursor-color "red")
(scim-mode t)

And haven't any error message out when loading scim-bridge.el.

And the value of variable 'scim-imcontext-id' is "5".

And I use command "describe-key" get many key is binding with
`scim-handle-event'.

And I rebinding key of SCIM turn on with <pause> use SCIM GUI
configuration utility.

------------------------------> Details end   <------------------------------

And I can't use scim-bridge.el input any Chinese.

Any suggestion?

Regards.

  -- Andy.

"S. Irie" <irieshinsuke@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm ... It is strange that you cannot input anything in Chinese. When
> I tested scim-mode on Linux distributions (Ubuntu 8.04 and Fedora 9,
> etc.), it worked without trouble by using SCIM-pinyin in any case.
> This problem might not depend which language you use.
>
> Sorry, I cannot find the cause of the problem, with only the
> information which was shown up to now. I would like to know the more
> detailed situation.
>
> Here are some questions I would like you to answer:
>
> * Did you set the keybinding for `Trigger' in the `Frontend' section
> of `SCIM Input Method Setup' tool to any key event other than Control
> +space? Otherwise, you must remove `(scim-define-common-key ?\C-\
> nil)' from .emacs file in order to be able to start SCIM.
>
> * Do any error messages come out by loading/using `scim-bridge.el'? If
> so, what kind of errors are they?
>
> * What value is bound to the variable `scim-imcontext-id'? If the
> IMContext is registered successfully, its ID number is set to this
> variable as a string. (ex. "5", "12", etc.) Otherwise, the value keeps
> nil and any key events are not sent to SCIM.
>
> * Did you test .emacs file which contains only scim-mode settings in
> order to examine whether there is elisp conflicting with scim-mode?
>
> * Which version of Emacs, which operating system, and which desktop
> environment have you used?
>
> I will add the template file for `scim-bridge-??.el' to the next
> release of `scim-bridge.el'. In the current version, the functions
> used for localization is included in not `scim-bridge.el' but `scim-
> bridge-ja.el', even though some of these functions which can be
> commonly used for all languages should be included in `scim-
> bridge.el'. Thank you very much for your proposal!
>
> Anyway, it is necessary for the program to work correctly first of
> all.
>
> S. Irie

[-- Attachment #2: scim-bridge-zh.el --]

* Re: Anyone use scim-bridge.el with Chinese?
@ 2008-10-06 10:07             ` S. Irie
From: S. Irie @ 2008-10-06 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Andy,

> I have transform a Chinese version of scim-bridge-zh.el in my
> attachment.

Thank you very much for your contribution!
I will distribute this file together with scim-bridge.el after
a little arrangement. I think that the name of this file should
be `scim-bridge-zh_CN.el'.

> And I rebinding key of SCIM turn on with <pause> use SCIM GUI
> configuration utility.

<pause>?
Is an error message displayed in the minibuffer by pressing [pause]
key? (such as `<pause> is undefined')
If so, please add the following to your .emacs file.

(scim-define-common-key 'pause t)

scim-mode does not handle [pause] by the default settings,
therefore it is necessary to bind this key to `scim-handle-event'
explicitly. See `scim-common-function-key-list'.

S. Irie