* Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-26 13:14 Magnus Berg
From: Magnus Berg @ 2008-11-26 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I'm little confused about the possibilities with Emacsserver in Emacs 23
(cvs). I had used Gnuserv before because it makes it possible to open a
new buffers/files, from the filemanager etc, in the initial frame (whith
dtemacs).  I don't want to have my screen cluttered with frames.
Now I wonder if it's possible to do the same with Emacs 23:s Emacsserver
or if I should continue to use Gnuserver for that. If it's possible with
Emacsserver, can you tell me how.

Magnus Berg

* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-26 15:13 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-11-26 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Magnus Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Magnus Berg
<debianmailinglistspam@burgsvik.se> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm little confused about the possibilities with Emacsserver in Emacs 23
> (cvs). I had used Gnuserv before because it makes it possible to open a new
> buffers/files, from the filemanager etc, in the initial frame (whith
> dtemacs).  I don't want to have my screen cluttered with frames.
> Now I wonder if it's possible to do the same with Emacs 23:s Emacsserver or
> if I should continue to use Gnuserver for that. If it's possible with
> Emacsserver, can you tell me how.

Maybe you can find your answer here:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient

* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-27 13:03 Magnus Berg
From: Magnus Berg @ 2008-11-27 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> >/ Hi!/
> >
> >/ I'm little confused about the possibilities with Emacsserver in Emacs 23/
> >/ (cvs). I had used Gnuserv before because it makes it possible to open a new/
> >/ buffers/files, from the filemanager etc, in the initial frame (whith/
> >/ dtemacs).  I don't want to have my screen cluttered with frames./
> >/ Now I wonder if it's possible to do the same with Emacs 23:s Emacsserver or/
> >/ if I should continue to use Gnuserver for that. If it's possible with/
> >/ Emacsserver, can you tell me how./
>
> Maybe you can find your answer here:
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient

No, there was nothing about opening new buffers/files in the initial frame.

* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-27 14:16 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-11-27 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Magnus Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Magnus Berg
<debianmailinglistspam@burgsvik.se> wrote:

>> >/ Hi!/
>> >
>> >/ I'm little confused about the possibilities with Emacsserver in Emacs
>> > 23/
>> >/ (cvs). I had used Gnuserv before because it makes it possible to open a
>> > new/
>> >/ buffers/files, from the filemanager etc, in the initial frame (whith/
>> >/ dtemacs).  I don't want to have my screen cluttered with frames./
>> >/ Now I wonder if it's possible to do the same with Emacs 23:s
>> > Emacsserver or/
>> >/ if I should continue to use Gnuserver for that. If it's possible with/
>> >/ Emacsserver, can you tell me how./
>>
>> Maybe you can find your answer here:
>>
>>  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient
>>

> No, there was nothing about opening new buffers/files in the initial frame.

Sorry, you are right. Look at the option server-window in Emacs. (I am
surprised it is not mentioned.) Does that help you?

* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-28 19:41 Magnus Berg
From: Magnus Berg @ 2008-11-28 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Maybe you can find your answer here:
>>>
>>>  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient
>>>

>> No, there was nothing about opening new buffers/files in the initial frame.
>
> Sorry, you are right. Look at the option server-window in Emacs. (I am
> surprised it is not mentioned.) Does that help you?

No! :-) I have read quite a lot about emacsserver. (I got the "GNU Emacs
manual" as a book and it covers version 22) I have searched and looked
up the options but I don't get a grip of it. I found a option for
emacsserver there I can set the variable "server-window" to a window or
a frame. And it is by default set to "Use selected window" and it is
possible to chose "Display in new frame", "Use pop-to-buffer" and "Other
function". I suppose the last alternative could include some smart
setting for the ones who knows lisp or what to do. But I don't.

But I'm not sitting here crying :-) I installed Gnuserv and it does what
I want. But it should be fun to now how to do it without extra lisp
packages, if it is possible with the included emacsserver.

Thanks for your interest in my question Lennart!

@ 2008-11-28 19:46 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-11-28 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Magnus Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Magnus Berg

>>> No, there was nothing about opening new buffers/files in the initial
>>> frame.
>>
>> Sorry, you are right. Look at the option server-window in Emacs. (I am
>> surprised it is not mentioned.) Does that help you?
>
> No! :-) I have read quite a lot about emacsserver. (I got the "GNU Emacs
> manual" as a book and it covers version 22) I have searched and looked up
> the options but I don't get a grip of it. I found a option for emacsserver
> there I can set the variable "server-window" to a window or a frame. And it
> is by default set to "Use selected window" and it is possible to chose
> "Display in new frame", "Use pop-to-buffer" and "Other function". I suppose
> the last alternative could include some smart setting for the ones who knows
> lisp or what to do. But I don't.
>
> But I'm not sitting here crying :-) I installed Gnuserv and it does what I
> want. But it should be fun to now how to do it without extra lisp packages,
> if it is possible with the included emacsserver.
>
> Thanks for your interest in my question Lennart!

But can you then please explain what you want to do then? I thought
you wanted to open a file in a specific Emacs frame. Is not that what
you want to do?

       [not found] <mailman.1447.1227901272.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-11-28 22:26 ` Chetan
From: Chetan @ 2008-11-28 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> No, there was nothing about opening new buffers/files in the initial frame.
>>
>> Sorry, you are right. Look at the option server-window in Emacs. (I am
>> surprised it is not mentioned.) Does that help you?
>
> No! :-) I have read quite a lot about emacsserver. (I got the "GNU Emacs
> manual" as a book and it covers version 22) I have searched and looked up the
> options but I don't get a grip of it. I found a option for emacsserver there I
> can set the variable "server-window" to a window or a frame. And it is by
> default set to "Use selected window" and it is possible to chose "Display in
> new frame", "Use pop-to-buffer" and "Other function". I suppose the last
> alternative could include some smart setting for the ones who knows lisp or
> what to do. But I don't.
>
> But I'm not sitting here crying :-) I installed Gnuserv and it does what I
> want. But it should be fun to now how to do it without extra lisp packages, if
> it is possible with the included emacsserver.
>
> Thanks for your interest in my question Lennart!

I have wondered about swithing to emacsserver for some time. I have
been using gnuclient for a long time (on W32). Changing over to
emacsserver became a possibility with emacs 22, but I haven't yet done
it.

For my style of working, I find there are irritations in switching
over. I wonder if anybody has any solution.

1. My version of gnuclient starts emacs (if it can find it) if it
cannot connect to a running instance. I could, of course, make sure it
is running before I use it.

2. Irrespective of whether I am running emacs 21 or 22, it can still
connect.

3. The biggest irritant is that if I start another instance of emacs,
either by mistake or because I want to do something in a console
window, it clobbers my previous instance. With gnuserve, it fails with
a dialog box, which is also irritating, but it works the way I want
it. Ideally I would not like to keep changing the commandline, but I
don't see how I would do it even with that.

4. I need to change too many places in the system registry where it
invokes gnuclient. I can perhaps do that if I can handle the others.

Chetan

* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-29 10:04   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1476.1227953070.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-11-29 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Chetan <Chetan.xspam@xspam.sbcglobal.net>
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 14:26:28 -0800
>
> 1. My version of gnuclient starts emacs (if it can find it) if it
> cannot connect to a running instance.

I believe "emacsclient -a" can do that, too.

> 2. Irrespective of whether I am running emacs 21 or 22, it can still
> connect.

Do you really need to run Emacs 21 from time to time?

> 3. The biggest irritant is that if I start another instance of emacs,
> either by mistake or because I want to do something in a console
> window, it clobbers my previous instance.

You can arrange for it to not do that in your .emacs: just don't start
the server if there's evidence that one other instance is already up
and running.

> 4. I need to change too many places in the system registry where it
> invokes gnuclient.

You could have a script called gnuclient.cmd that just invoked
emacsclient.

* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1476.1227953070.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-11-29 13:10     ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2008-11-29 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Do you really need to run Emacs 21 from time to time?

I don't know about the OP, but I *definitely* need to run Emacs 21, due to
problems editing remote files with tramp/ange-ftp under Emacs 22 (as I've
posted previously).

--
Will

* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
@ 2008-11-30 18:46 Magnus Berg
From: Magnus Berg @ 2008-11-30 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Sorry, you are right. Look at the option server-window in Emacs. (I am
>>> surprised it is not mentioned.) Does that help you?
>>
>> No! :-) I have read quite a lot about emacsserver. (I got the "GNU Emacs
>> manual" as a book and it covers version 22) I have searched and looked up
>> the options but I don't get a grip of it. I found a option for emacsserver
>> there I can set the variable "server-window" to a window or a frame. And it
>> is by default set to "Use selected window" and it is possible to chose
>> "Display in new frame", "Use pop-to-buffer" and "Other function". I suppose
>> the last alternative could include some smart setting for the ones who knows
>> lisp or what to do. But I don't.
>>
>> But I'm not sitting here crying :-) I installed Gnuserv and it does what I
>> want. But it should be fun to now how to do it without extra lisp packages,
>> if it is possible with the included emacsserver.
>>
>> Thanks for your interest in my question Lennart!
>

> But can you then please explain what you want to do then? I thought
> you wanted to open a file in a specific Emacs frame. Is not that what
> you want to do?

Yes!
But the defult "Use selected window" in the the variable "server-window"
doesn't, even if it maybe should. And I had the argument
(server-start) in my .emacs As I understand it that should run Emacs as
Emacsserver. And I choose to open new files, from the filemanager with
the application/command emacsclient. But all opened files creates a new
frame.

* Re: Gnuserv vs Emacsserver
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1476.1227953070.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-12-02  3:32   ` Chetan