On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote: > My part solution is to have several default Emacs "personalities" - or > perhaps better called "Emacsicalities" - perhaps 2 or 3 of them. Each > one would be implemented by a Lisp file setting certain defaults. So, > the "CUA Emacsicality" would enable cua-mode, and maybe one or two other > things, "Classic Emacsicality" would leave all settings at their > optimum-for-experts. The startup screen would prompt the user to chose > his desired Emacsicality, but would at the same time encourage her to > switch to "classic" for the ultimate experience. Obviously, you'd set > some sort of option for this after the first 2 or 3 times. > > However, like everything else in Emacs, good ideas only happen when the > person with the idea implements it. Maybe I should try this once Emacs > 23's been released. Have no fear, you are not alone on this road. May friends be with you! (I think I might have sent this to Emacs devel once, not sure.)