* Formatting C (or other code) to HTML for blog posts
@ 2008-10-30 15:45 Alex Bennee
From: Alex Bennee @ 2008-10-30 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Is there a function that will format some source code into HTML so I
don't loose formatting from the spaces and tabs being eaten up. Usually
I would wrap the code in <pre> but for various reasons this is not so
easy to do (the blog software chews double spaces).

It would be extra nice if the function did pretty syntax highlighting!

I tried format-encode-region to html but that didn't seem to so what I
wanted (or at least I didn't see a bunch of &nsp;'s and <br>'s appear).

--
Alex Bennee, Software Engineer
Tcl tends to get ported to weird places like routers. -- Larry Wall in

* Re: Formatting C (or other code) to HTML for blog posts
       [not found] <mailman.2498.1225381561.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-30 15:52 ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2008-10-30 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 30 Oct 2008, Alex Bennee wrote:

> Is there a function that will format some source code into HTML so I
> don't loose formatting from the spaces and tabs being eaten
> up. Usually I would wrap the code in <pre> but for various reasons
> this is not so easy to do (the blog software chews double spaces).
>
> It would be extra nice if the function did pretty syntax highlighting!
>
> I tried format-encode-region to html but that didn't seem to so what I
> wanted (or at least I didn't see a bunch of &nsp;'s and <br>'s
> appear).

htmlize.el works, but it might be overkill for what you want.  I have
used that to get code onto blog posts in Wordpress but I still end up
massaging it a fair bit.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Htmlize

Check out the other possibilities on that page as well.
--
Charles Sebold                                     30th of October, 2008

* Re: Formatting C (or other code) to HTML for blog posts
@ 2008-10-30 16:32 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-10-30 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Bennee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

See http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/PrintWithWebBrowser

@ 2008-10-30 16:41 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-30 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 30, 8:45 am, Alex Bennee <ajb...@cbnl.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a function that will format some source code into HTML so I
> don't loose formatting from the spaces and tabs being eaten up. Usually
> I would wrap the code in <pre> but for various reasons this is not so
> easy to do (the blog software chews double spaces).
>
> It would be extra nice if the function did pretty syntax highlighting!
>
> I tried format-encode-region to html but that didn't seem to so what I
> wanted (or at least I didn't see a bunch of &nsp;'s and <br>'s appear).

not sure about blogs because their support for raw html differs.

anyhow, i use htmlize and am very happy about it. For detail, see:

http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_htmlize.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Formatting C (or other code) to HTML for blog posts
@ 2008-10-30 21:37   ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2523.1225402669.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-10-30 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
> anyhow, i use htmlize and am very happy about it. For detail, see:
>
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_htmlize.html

If htmlize.el have not change lately it might be worth that
htmlfontify.el can do a little bit more. I recognizes some more way to
do the fontification. But htmlize.el is also very good.

* Re: Formatting C (or other code) to HTML for blog posts
@ 2008-10-30 23:25   ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2523.1225402669.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-10-30 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Although you often have strong opinions on anything on this list
(often I disagree with), I really like to read your website (and
articles). Why don't you put them onto emacswiki to "increase"
the quality of the website content ?

This article for example would be a perfect candidate for an
emacswiki page:

   http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_htmlize.html

Regards,

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

@ 2008-10-31 23:12     ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-31 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 30, 2:37 pm, "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borg...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Xah <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > anyhow, i use htmlize and am very happy about it. For detail, see:
>
> >http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_htmlize.html
>
> If htmlize.el have not change lately it might be worth that
> htmlfontify.el can do a little bit more. I recognizes some more way to
> do the fontification. But htmlize.el is also very good.

am very happy with “htmlize.el”. When i was looking for a solution in
2006 or so, i did spent some min with “htmlfontify.el” but i recall i
was confused. It's author was active in freenode.net's #emacs irc
channel, maybe still is ...

the author of htmlize.el will not have his package be part of GNU
emacs. Maybe if htmlfontify.el becomes part of emacs i'll give it a
swirl.

@ 2008-11-01  0:18       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-11-01  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xah; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2:37 pm, "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Xah <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > anyhow, i use htmlize and am very happy about it. For detail, see:
>>
>> >http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_htmlize.html
>>
>> If htmlize.el have not change lately it might be worth that
>> htmlfontify.el can do a little bit more. I recognizes some more way to
>> do the fontification. But htmlize.el is also very good.
>
> am very happy with "htmlize.el". When i was looking for a solution in
> 2006 or so, i did spent some min with "htmlfontify.el" but i recall i
> was confused. It's author was active in freenode.net's #emacs irc
> channel, maybe still is ...
>
> the author of htmlize.el will not have his package be part of GNU
> emacs. Maybe if htmlfontify.el becomes part of emacs i'll give it a
> swirl.

I believe htmlfontify.el is on its way to become a part of GNU Emacs.