* Exercise 3.12 from Intro to lisp manual
@ 2006-03-20 17:53 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-03-20 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is my first take on an answer to this problem. The interpreter says
that 'fill-column is void. It seems to me that that the tutorial hasn't
shown how to make 'fill-column visible to the inside of the function.
Dynamic scoping has been mentioned but nothing spelled out, if I am not
mistaken.

(defun chkfc (width)
 "Compare current fill column width with arbitrary value."
(interactive "p")
 (if (> fill-column width)
    (message "Current fill column width %d is greater than %d."
fill-column, width)
    (message "Current fill column width %d is less than %d." fill-column,
width)))

What else is needed here?

Thanks,

Ed.

* Re: Exercise 3.12 from Intro to lisp manual
@ 2006-03-20 17:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2006-03-20 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:

>     (message "Current fill column width %d is greater than %d."
> fill-column, width)

I don't understand the "," here : is that needed ?

--
Bastien

* Re: Exercise 3.12 from Intro to lisp manual
@ 2006-03-20 23:02   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-03-20 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bastien" <bastien@xxx.fr> wrote in message
> "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:
>
> >     (message "Current fill column width %d is greater than %d."
> > fill-column, width)
>
> I don't understand the "," here : is that needed ?
>
> --
> Bastien

Thanks, Bastien. I forgot for a short time that the argument separator is
a space. 'fill-column is different from 'fill-column,

Ed