* printing ediff
@ 2005-10-19 15:24 rajenho (sent by Nabble.com)
From: rajenho (sent by Nabble.com) @ 2005-10-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guyz,
  I want to send out a package for code review. I work in a predominantly microsoft environment and in my company we distribute printed packages for code reviews with original and changed code. I really like the ediff utility to see the code differences. Can someone tell me if there is a way to print the code differences that i see with ediff utility?

Thanks
Raj
--
Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com:
http://www.nabble.com/printing-ediff-t425048.html#a1164549

* Re: printing ediff
@ 2005-10-19 17:28 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-10-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

rajenho (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
 >   I want to send out a package for code review. I work in a
 > predominantly microsoft environment and in my company we distribute
 > printed packages for code reviews with original and changed code. I
 > really like the ediff utility to see the code differences. Can someone
 > tell me if there is a way to print the code differences that i see with
 > ediff utility?

Your window system should have a utility that you can use to print the
Emacs frame.

I don't think you can do what you want inside of Emacs, because ediff
displays the original file and new file in separate buffers.  You can
print either of those buffers (or a region in either buffer) with M-x
ps-print-buffer-with-faces (or M-x ps-print-region-with-faces), but you
can't print both at once.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: printing ediff
@ 2005-10-19 21:17   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-19 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, hniksic

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> rajenho (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> >   I want to send out a package for code review. I work in a
> > predominantly microsoft environment and in my company we distribute
> > printed packages for code reviews with original and changed code. I
> > really like the ediff utility to see the code differences. Can someone
> > tell me if there is a way to print the code differences that i see with
> > ediff utility?
>
> Your window system should have a utility that you can use to print the
> Emacs frame.
>
> I don't think you can do what you want inside of Emacs, because ediff
> displays the original file and new file in separate buffers.  You can
> print either of those buffers (or a region in either buffer) with M-x
> ps-print-buffer-with-faces (or M-x ps-print-region-with-faces), but you
> can't print both at once.

I thought that maybe this could be done the way I do printing in
EmacsW32. I let htmlize.el convert the buffer to HTML and then the
web-browser prints it. (This could be done on any system that has a
web-browser, but EmacsW32 implements this for w32 only. Just a little
change to the code should make the "preview" part portable I realize
right now ...)

Unfortunately this did not work for the ediff buffer in my test now.

Hrvoje, you are the author of this excellent package. Do you know why it
does not work for an ediff buffer? Or rather: maybe can I guess why, but
is that something you plan to implement?;-)

* Re: printing ediff
@ 2005-10-20  9:01     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2005-10-20  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Rodgers, help-gnu-emacs

Please remove me from the Cc of this discussion.  Thank you.

* Re: printing ediff
@ 2005-10-20 14:05     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2005-10-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Rodgers, help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Unfortunately this did not work for the ediff buffer in my test now.
>
> Hrvoje, you are the author of this excellent package. Do you know
> why it does not work for an ediff buffer? Or rather: maybe can I
> guess why, but is that something you plan to implement?;-)

I do see a problem with htmlizing an ediff buffer.  Since your report
doesn't describe the bug, I don't know if that's the problem you're
having.  What I see is htmlize being unable to cope with buffer
properties specifying faces as strings.

I've now fixed this in htmlize 1.21 and can htmlize ediff buffers.
Thanks for the report.

* Re: printing ediff
@ 2005-10-20 23:20       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-20 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

>Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>

>>Unfortunately this did not work for the ediff buffer in my test now.
>>
>>Hrvoje, you are the author of this excellent package. Do you know
>>why it does not work for an ediff buffer? Or rather: maybe can I
>>guess why, but is that something you plan to implement?;-)
>>

>I do see a problem with htmlizing an ediff buffer.  Since your report
>doesn't describe the bug, I don't know if that's the problem you're
>having.  What I see is htmlize being unable to cope with buffer
>properties specifying faces as strings.
>
>I've now fixed this in htmlize 1.21 and can htmlize ediff buffers.
>Thanks for the report.

I just wrote a little elisp file htmlize-view.el to take advantage of
this new possibility. It has a function htmlize-view-buffer that shows
the current buffer in Emacs in your web browser with colors. This way
you should hopefully easily be able to print an ediff buffer.

You can find it at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/Emacs.html