* Quickly check for differences in code and locate possible errors.
@ 2023-03-28 13:56 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-03-28 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi here,

I've the following two lines of wolfram code written in two versions:

Version 1. This is the correct version:

getPGRotMat =getRotMat[If[MemberQ[RotMat[[1]]["CubiPrim"],
#],"CubiPrim","HexaPrim"],#]&;
Grid[Table[{PGinfo[[i,;;2]],{#\[RightArrow]getPGRotMat[#]} &
/@getPGElem[i]},{i,32}],Frame -> All]

Version 2. This is the wrong version:

getPGRotMat =getRotMat[If[MemberQ[RotMat[[1]]["CubiPrim"],#],"CubiPrim","HexaPrim"],#]&;
Grid[Table[{PGinfo[i,;;2],{#\[RightArrow]getPGRotMat[#]} &
/@getPGElem[i]},{i,3}],Frame \[RightArrow] All]

I would like to know whether it's possible to quickly check for
differences in code and locate possible errors with the help of Emacs.
Any tips will be appreciated.

Regards,
Zhao
--
Assoc. Prof. Hongsheng Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
Theory and Simulation of Materials

* Re: Quickly check for differences in code and locate possible errors.
@ 2023-03-28 14:40 ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2023-03-28 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/28/23 9:56 AM, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> Hi here,
>
> I've the following two lines of wolfram code written in two versions:
>
> Version 1. This is the correct version:
>
> getPGRotMat =getRotMat[If[MemberQ[RotMat[[1]]["CubiPrim"],
> #],"CubiPrim","HexaPrim"],#]&;
> Grid[Table[{PGinfo[[i,;;2]],{#\[RightArrow]getPGRotMat[#]} &
> /@getPGElem[i]},{i,32}],Frame -> All]
>
> Version 2. This is the wrong version:
>
> getPGRotMat =getRotMat[If[MemberQ[RotMat[[1]]["CubiPrim"],#],"CubiPrim","HexaPrim"],#]&;
> Grid[Table[{PGinfo[i,;;2],{#\[RightArrow]getPGRotMat[#]} &
> /@getPGElem[i]},{i,3}],Frame \[RightArrow] All]
>
> I would like to know whether it's possible to quickly check for
> differences in code and locate possible errors with the help of Emacs.
> Any tips will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Zhao

It's been a long time since I've compiled something in an emacs buffer,
so I can't speak to locating code errors, and have no experience with
wolfram.  "C-h a diff ENTER" displays a few possibilities for finding
differences.

* Re: Quickly check for differences in code and locate possible errors.
@ 2023-03-28 15:03 ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2023-03-28 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I would like to know whether it's possible to quickly check for
> differences in code and locate possible errors with the help of Emacs.
> Any tips will be appreciated.

I think the simplest way to do what you want is:

(defun ediff-regions-characterwise ()
   (interactive)
   (let ((ediff-forward-word-function #'forward-char))
     (call-interactively 'ediff-regions-wordwise)))

Open the two files, call M-x ediff-regions-characterwise, select the two
buffers, and type C-x h C-M-c twice.

* Re: Quickly check for differences in code and locate possible errors.
@ 2023-03-29  2:04   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-03-29  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Heytings; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 11:03 PM Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> wrote:

> > I would like to know whether it's possible to quickly check for
> > differences in code and locate possible errors with the help of Emacs.
> > Any tips will be appreciated.
> >

> I think the simplest way to do what you want is:
>
> (defun ediff-regions-characterwise ()
>    (interactive)
>    (let ((ediff-forward-word-function #'forward-char))
>      (call-interactively 'ediff-regions-wordwise)))
>
> Open the two files, call M-x ediff-regions-characterwise, select the two
> buffers, and type C-x h C-M-c twice.

Thank you for the tip. Now, let's consider a further problem: if I
only have the wrong version of the code at hand, I want to quickly
locate the possible problematic code characters from it. Is it
possible?

More specifically, the culprit should be picked out, and the
corresponding modifications should be made as follows:

`,' should be `,'

`\[RightArrow]' should be `->'

Regards,
Zhao

* Re: Quickly check for differences in code and locate possible errors.
@ 2023-03-29  8:34     ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2023-03-29  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Now, let's consider a further problem: if I only have the wrong version
> of the code at hand, I want to quickly locate the possible problematic
> code characters from it. Is it possible?

If you can unambiguously define what "possible problematic code
characters" are (and what their non-problematic counterparts are), that's
possible.  I don't know enough about Mathematica to help you more, sorry.