* Cursor as underline in 21?
@ 2004-07-02 17:18 DrMemory
From: DrMemory @ 2004-07-02 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just "upgraded" to GNUEmacs 21.3. I am running on just a regular
terminal usually. The blinking block cursor drives me crazy! I found
an old thread here which discussed how to change cvvis in the terminfo
so that it doesn't blink, and that is some better. But is there really
no way to just have an underscore (blinking or not) for a cursor??!

Forgive me if this a dead horse...

* Re: Cursor as underline in 21?
@ 2004-07-02 17:48 ` DrMemory
From: DrMemory @ 2004-07-02 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 17:18:44 GMT, DrMemory <drmemory@starband.net> wrote:

>But is there really no way to just have an underscore (blinking or
>not) for a cursor??!  Forgive me if this a dead horse...

Poor practice to answer one's own question, I suppose, but I just
tried this change in term.c:

  TS_cursor_visible = tgetstr("ve",address); /* was "vs" */

Appears to be working so far, but I haven't tested it much....

Any less brutal solutions?

* Re: Cursor as underline in 21?
@ 2004-07-05 13:49   ` Martin Jost
From: Martin Jost @ 2004-07-05 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"DrMemory" <drmemory@starband.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cehFc.15567$J82.12817@fe25.usenetserver.com...
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 17:18:44 GMT, DrMemory <drmemory@starband.net> wrote:
>
> >But is there really no way to just have an underscore (blinking or
> >not) for a cursor??!  Forgive me if this a dead horse...

To "unblink" the cursor, I would do it in emacs .emacs itself by using:
(blink-cursor-mode -1)

(But it is still a block-cursor; I never tried to get it to underline)

If you want to get rid of the toolbar (the next thing I did, when I started to use this version)
This is
(tool-bar-mode -1)

HTH

Martin

* Re: Cursor as underline in 21?
@ 2004-07-06 15:39   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2004-07-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

    DrMemory> Any less brutal solutions?

Not sure what version this was introduced, but in cvs there is:

,----[ C-h v cursor-type RET ]
| cursor-type's value is (bar . 2)
|
| Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
|
| Cursor to use when this buffer is in the selected window.
| Values are interpreted as follows:
|
|   t 		 use the cursor specified for the frame
|   nil		 don't display a cursor
|   box		 display a filled box cursor
|   hollow	 display a hollow box cursor
|   bar		 display a vertical bar cursor with default width
|   (bar . WIDTH)	 display a vertical bar cursor with width WIDTH
|   hbar		 display a horisontal bar cursor with default width
|   (hbar . WIDTH) display a horisontal bar cursor with width WIDTH
|   ANYTHING ELSE	 display a hollow box cursor.
|
| When the buffer is displayed in a nonselected window,
| this variable has no effect; the cursor appears as a hollow box.
|
| Defined in `C source code'.

`----

* Re: Cursor as underline in 21?
@ 2004-07-07 17:23     ` DrMemory
From: DrMemory @ 2004-07-07 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:39:51 GMT, Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> wrote:

>    DrMemory> Any less brutal solutions?
>
>Not sure what version this was introduced, but in cvs there is:
>
>,----[ C-h v cursor-type RET ]
>| cursor-type's value is (bar . 2)

The cursor-type is applicable only if running in X, where you get a
software cursor. On the plain terminal, you get the hardware cursor
only. And, starting I think with 21, the 'visible' (block) rather than
'normal' (underline) cursor is used, so it would appear that the only
way to change it is to change term.c as I noted and recompile.

(the blink-cursor-mode which was suggested is also applicable only to
the software cursor).