* Emacs help for 'cvs commit'?
@ 2004-05-22 23:24 J Krugman
From: J Krugman @ 2004-05-22 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am relatively new to cvs (and to any form of version control
software).  One thing that seems harder than it should be is that
when one executes a "cvs commit", and cvs prompts one for a message
to describe the changes made, cvs doesn't provide an easy way to
review the differences between the new revision and the previous
one; I end up having to rely on my notoriously bad memory.  Does
Emacs' CVS support provide any facility to do this?

Thanks!

jill

--
To  s&e^n]d  me  m~a}i]l  r%e*m?o\v[e  bit from my a|d)d:r{e:s]s.

* Re: Emacs help for 'cvs commit'?
@ 2004-05-23 11:31 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-05-23 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

J Krugman <jkrugman345@yahbitoo.com> writes:

> I am relatively new to cvs (and to any form of version control
> software).  One thing that seems harder than it should be is that
> when one executes a "cvs commit", and cvs prompts one for a message
> to describe the changes made, cvs doesn't provide an easy way to
> review the differences between the new revision and the previous
> one;

Sure it does. cvs diff will show differences. From the source buffer
(C-c f will get you there from the log message buffer), C-x v = (or
"Compare with base version" on the Tools/Version Control menu) will
show you the diffs.

* Re: Emacs help for 'cvs commit'?
@ 2004-05-23 13:01   ` J Krugman
From: J Krugman @ 2004-05-23 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <u7jv39y7t.fsf@jasonrumney.net> jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:

>J Krugman <jkrugman345@yahbitoo.com> writes:

>> I am relatively new to cvs (and to any form of version control
>> software).  One thing that seems harder than it should be is that
>> when one executes a "cvs commit", and cvs prompts one for a message
>> to describe the changes made, cvs doesn't provide an easy way to
>> review the differences between the new revision and the previous
>> one;

>Sure it does. cvs diff will show differences. From the source buffer
>(C-c f will get you there from the log message buffer),

Thanks, but C-c f from the log message buffer just gets me a beep.

What's the name of the command that C-c f should have been bound
to to get the behavior you describe?

> C-x v = (or
>"Compare with base version" on the Tools/Version Control menu) will
>show you the diffs.

OK, I found that.

Thanks,

jill
--

@ 2004-05-23 15:04     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-05-23 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

J Krugman <jkrugman345@yahbitoo.com> writes:

>>Sure it does. cvs diff will show differences. From the source buffer
>>(C-c f will get you there from the log message buffer),
>
> Thanks, but C-c f from the log message buffer just gets me a beep.

Sorry, I meant C-c C-f, but it doesn't do what I thought it did
anyway. It looks like you will have to switch back to the buffer of
the file you are checking in manually. In most circumstances, C-x o
will work.