* Menu Bar fonts under Windows in 24.3
@ 2013-09-02 20:56 Smith_RS
From: Smith_RS @ 2013-09-02 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone.  Long time listener, first time caller.

The scope of this question is limited to the Windows build of 24.3 that is downloaded from gnu.org:

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN

I am trying to figure out how to manipulate the fonts in the menu bar. No amount of tinkering with (set-face-attribute 'menu ...) on the elisp level makes the slightest bit of difference.

It's documented that a registry key under HKCU\Software\GNU\Emacs will emulate the legacy .Xresources mechanism, but it's not clear whether the Windows build follows the semantics of GTK, Lucid, or something completely different.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I have a new-fangled Dell 27" monitor with a default geometry of 2560x1440 and the default menu font size is too small for my aging eyes.

Thanks, as always.

* Re: Menu Bar fonts under Windows in 24.3
@ 2013-09-02 21:45 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-09-02 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Smith_RS <rsmithpv@gmail.com> writes:

> Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I have a
> new-fangled Dell 27" monitor with a default geometry of 2560x1440 and
> the default menu font size is too small for my aging eyes.

I'll say that the menu is managed by Windows itself, i.e. Emacs has no
saying on the font used.

You can test that by yourself: scale the Windows font to something
different (with Control Panel) and see if Emacs's font is affected.

* Re: Menu Bar fonts under Windows in 24.3
@ 2013-09-03  0:27 ` Smith_RS
From: Smith_RS @ 2013-09-03  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You're right. It's been locked down to conform to the Windows scheme, which is controlled (at least in Windows 7) by the "Windows Color and Appearance" system dialog.

This is not the answer I wanted but it is an answer. The odd thing is that when I traced it with Procmon I can see it hitting registry keys like "HKCU\Software\GNU\Emacs\emacs.menu.attributeFont". So it looks like the normal semantics are there, but are being overridden.

Thanks.