* Transient Mark Mode on by Default?
@ 2008-12-18  1:57 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2008-12-18  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help List

Hello Everyone,

Once again I need help with a disparity between my home installation
and my work installation.  At work, on Windows, Emacs appears to have
the standard mark mode turned on by default (i.e. the mark gets set
and activated automatically and does not highlight the region).  At
home, on my Mac, it appears that the mark-mode is Transient by
default, which really is undesireable as a lot of the little work
flows I've developed at work (such as M-< M-w to grab the contents of
a buffer that I just finished writing) just don't work nearly as well
when I have to remember to set the mark manually, nor do they look
nearly as clean when the highlighting junk comes up.  Anyone know how
I can fix that?

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: Transient Mark Mode on by Default?
       [not found] <mailman.2996.1229565453.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-12-18  8:08 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2008-12-18  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: Emacs Help List

Tim Visher (2008-12-17 20:57 -0500) wrote:

> Once again I need help with a disparity between my home installation
> and my work installation. At work, on Windows, Emacs appears to have
> the standard mark mode turned on by default (i.e. the mark gets set
> and activated automatically and does not highlight the region). At
> home, on my Mac, it appears that the mark-mode is Transient by
> default, which really is undesireable as a lot of the little work
> flows I've developed at work (such as M-< M-w to grab the contents of
> a buffer that I just finished writing) just don't work nearly as well
> when I have to remember to set the mark manually, nor do they look
> nearly as clean when the highlighting junk comes up. Anyone know how I
> can fix that?

I think Emacs 23 is (will be) the first version with transient mark mode
switched on by default. In any case you may want to customize these

    M-x customize-option RET transient-mark-mode RET
    M-x customize-option RET mark-even-if-inactive RET

The latter, if non-nil, keeps mark even if the (transient) region is
deactivated.

* Re: Transient Mark Mode on by Default?
@ 2008-12-18 12:34   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2008-12-18 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: Emacs Help List

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:08 AM, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> I think Emacs 23 is (will be) the first version with transient mark mode
> switched on by default.

Oh my... That's horrible.  But oh well.  I was able to use the
customize mode to write the appropriate customization out to my .emacs
file.  Thanks for your help!