* WinXP Emacs Crashing
@ 2009-01-28 21:02 helloworld101
From: helloworld101 @ 2009-01-28 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I'm using Windows XP Version 5.1.2600 and I downloaded GNU Emacs from
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/emacs-22.3-bin-i386.zip, unzipped
it and tried to run emcas-22.3/bin/runemacs.exe however cannot since
it crashes upon loading. By crashing I mean, Windows popping up with
the option of sending an error report.
It crashes after a few seconds after loading or right when I click on
a menu option/link or try and type something.
How can I help diagnose and solve the problem?

* Re: WinXP Emacs Crashing
@ 2009-01-29 17:40 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-01-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

helloworld101@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using Windows XP Version 5.1.2600 and I downloaded GNU Emacs from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/emacs-22.3-bin-i386.zip, unzipped
> it and tried to run emcas-22.3/bin/runemacs.exe however cannot since
> it crashes upon loading. By crashing I mean, Windows popping up with
> the option of sending an error report.
> It crashes after a few seconds after loading or right when I click on
> a menu option/link or try and type something.
> How can I help diagnose and solve the problem?

Is your installation still running an old .emacs? Add PATHTOEMACSBIN
(c:\dir\dir\emacsdir\bin) to your path and then try Start > Run >
runemacs.exe -Q

When you unzipped the binaries, did you keep all the explicit paths?
Maybe running addpm.exe will let xp know about Emacs but if it doesn't
work you may have to edit the registry to get rid of references to Emacs.
Where are the error reporting options directed? Emacsbugs? MS?

* Re: WinXP Emacs Crashing
@ 2009-01-30 23:22   ` helloworld101
From: helloworld101 @ 2009-01-30 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 29, 12:40 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> helloworld...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm using Windows XP Version 5.1.2600 and I downloaded GNU Emacs from
> >http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/emacs-22.3-bin-i386.zip, unzipped
> > it and tried to run emcas-22.3/bin/runemacs.exe however cannot since
> > it crashes upon loading. By crashing I mean, Windows popping up with
> > the option of sending an error report.
> > It crashes after a few seconds after loading or right when I click on
> > a menu option/link or try and type something.
> > How can I help diagnose and solve the problem?
>
> Is your installation still running an old .emacs? Add PATHTOEMACSBIN
> (c:\dir\dir\emacsdir\bin) to your path and then try Start > Run >
> runemacs.exe -Q
>
> When you unzipped the binaries, did you keep all the explicit paths?
> Maybe running addpm.exe will let xp know about Emacs but if it doesn't
> work you may have to edit the registry to get rid of references to Emacs.
> Where are the error reporting options directed? Emacsbugs? MS?

I got rid of all the occurrences of emacs in my registry and it fixed
the problem.
Thanks a lot B. T. Raven for the help, I don't usually mess around
with the registry so I wouldn't have thought of that.