* Refill mode for text-mode, but not for org-mode
@ 2008-10-24 14:18 Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2008-10-24 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have the following in my .emacs:
    (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
      (lambda () (refill-mode 1)
      )

This sets refill-mode for text-mode -what I want-, but also for org-
mode -what I do not want-. How can I set it for text-mode without also
setting it for org-mode?

* Re: Refill mode for text-mode, but not for org-mode
@ 2008-10-24 14:50 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.2022.1224873381.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2008-10-24 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Decebal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> I have the following in my .emacs:
>     (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
>       (lambda () (refill-mode 1)
>       )
>
> This sets refill-mode for text-mode -what I want-, but also for org-
> mode -what I do not want-. How can I set it for text-mode without also
> setting it for org-mode?

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (refill-mode 0)))

--
Bastien

* Re: Refill mode for text-mode, but not for org-mode
@ 2008-10-24 18:36 ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found] ` <mailman.2022.1224873381.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-10-24 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> I have the following in my .emacs:
>     (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
>       (lambda () (refill-mode 1)
>       )
>
> This sets refill-mode for text-mode -what I want-, but also for org-
> mode -what I do not want-. How can I set it for text-mode without also
> setting it for org-mode?

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            ;; List exceptions here
            (unless (memq major-mode '(org-mode))
              (refill-mode 1))))

* Re: Refill mode for text-mode, but not for org-mode
@ 2008-10-24 20:21 roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2008-10-24 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> I have the following in my .emacs:
>     (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
>       (lambda () (refill-mode 1)
>       )
>
> This sets refill-mode for text-mode -what I want-, but also for
org-
> mode -what I do not want-. How can I set it for text-mode
without also
> setting it for org-mode?

I used to bind refill-mode to my F-12 key. It's a toggle.  Helpful
when you're switching between modes. Any shortcut would be fine,
though.

Being a writer I've changed to longlines-mode now. As I recall, I
had to change some setting in org-mode to make longlines-mode work
correctly. Seems like org-mode truncates lines by default to make
its math tables work better. I use org-mode more like an improved
organizer-mode to hide chunks of notes.

Now my F-12 toggle is set for longlines-mode for those times when
the commands need to work on the whole line.

I'm only throwing out the longlines option because I've noticed a
lot of people don't seem to know about it.

Rod

@ 2008-10-25  7:45   ` Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2008-10-25  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 24, 8:36 pm, bojohan+n...@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård)
wrote:
> > I have the following in my .emacs:
> >     (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
> >       (lambda () (refill-mode 1)
> >       )
>
> > This sets refill-mode for text-mode -what I want-, but also for org-
> > mode -what I do not want-. How can I set it for text-mode without also
> > setting it for org-mode?
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             ;; List exceptions here
>             (unless (memq major-mode '(org-mode))
>               (refill-mode 1))))

This works partly (as explained in another thread). I want a little
more and I have:
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda ()
  (unless (memq major-mode '(org-mode))
    (refill-mode 1)
    (setq-default default-justification 'full)
    )
  )
)

This does not set refill-mode for org-mode, but it does set default-
justification for org-mode. A bit strange.