* alt v key
@ 2006-09-26 16:15 mark
From: mark @ 2006-09-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
sysadmin just upgraded my PC to suse 10.1 and emacs to 21.3  along with
it.
Before the  Alt v key scrolled up but now it capitalizes. How can I set
it up to have
the previous binding?
Thanks,
Mark

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-09-26 19:42 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.7449.1159299900.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-09-26 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

mark wrote:
> sysadmin just upgraded my PC to suse 10.1 and emacs to 21.3  along with
> it.
> Before the  Alt v key scrolled up but now it capitalizes. How can I set
> it up to have
> the previous binding?

What does `Ctrl-h k Alt-v' display?

--
Kevin

* Re: alt v key
       [not found] ` <mailman.7449.1159299900.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-26 20:54   ` mark
From: mark @ 2006-09-26 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin:
after Ctrl-h k Alt-v

M-c runs the command capitalize-word
(capitalize-word ARG)
   which is an interactive built-in function.

Capitalize the following word (or ARG words), moving over.
This gives the word(s) a first character in upper case
and the rest lower case.
With negative argument, capitalize previous words but do not move.

thanks,
Mark

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> mark wrote:
> > sysadmin just upgraded my PC to suse 10.1 and emacs to 21.3  along with
> > it.
> > Before the  Alt v key scrolled up but now it capitalizes. How can I set
> > it up to have
> > the previous binding?
>
> What does `Ctrl-h k Alt-v' display?
>
> --
> Kevin

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-09-27  9:43     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-09-27  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"mark" <mzp3769@yahoo.com> writes:

> Kevin:
> after Ctrl-h k Alt-v
>

> M-c runs the command capitalize-word

Either someone is playing a joke on you and have switched the physical
keys on your keyboard :) or you have suddenly got a new keyboard
layout. Does the v key give you a "v" when you type text? In Emacs? In
other apps?

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-09-27 16:14       ` mark
From: mark @ 2006-09-27 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

no, no new keyboard, doubt about a joke - only sysadmin has access to
my PC.
v displays correctyl in emacs/other apps,
Mark

Mathias Dahl wrote:
> "mark" <mzp3769@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Kevin:
> > after Ctrl-h k Alt-v
> >

> > M-c runs the command capitalize-word
>
> Either someone is playing a joke on you and have switched the physical
> keys on your keyboard :) or you have suddenly got a new keyboard
> layout. Does the v key give you a "v" when you type text? In Emacs? In
> other apps?

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-09-28  9:09         ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2006-09-28  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"mark" <mzp3769@yahoo.com> writes:

> no, no new keyboard, doubt about a joke - only sysadmin has access to
> my PC.
> v displays correctyl in emacs/other apps,
> Mark

This is really strange, as it says that you have input a "c".

What happens when you press C-h k followed by
C-M-v
M-c
C-v
C-c
?
(M = Alt, C = Ctrl)

Greetings

Malte

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-09-28 17:32           ` mark
From: mark @ 2006-09-28 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Below are the outputs after C-h k

C-M-v:
M-b runs the command backward-word
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
(backward-word ARG)

Move backward until encountering the beginning of a word.
With argument, do this that many times.

M-c:
M-c runs the command capitalize-word
(capitalize-word ARG)
   which is an interactive built-in function.

Capitalize the following word (or ARG words), moving over.
This gives the word(s) a first character in upper case
and the rest lower case.
With negative argument, capitalize previous words but do not move.

C-v:
C-v runs the command scroll-up
(scroll-up &optional ARG)
   which is an interactive built-in function.

Scroll text of current window upward ARG lines; or near full screen if
no \
ARG.
A near full screen is `next-screen-context-lines' less than a full
screen.
Negative ARG means scroll downward.
If ARG is the atom `-', scroll downward by nearly full screen.
When calling from a program, supply as argument a number, nil, or `-'.

C-c: waits for further input

?:
? runs the command self-insert-command
(self-insert-command N)
   which is an interactive built-in function.

Insert the character you type.
Whichever character you type to run this command is inserted.

Thanks for help,
Mark

Malte Spiess wrote:
> "mark" <mzp3769@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > no, no new keyboard, doubt about a joke - only sysadmin has access to
> > my PC.
> > v displays correctyl in emacs/other apps,
> > Mark
>
> This is really strange, as it says that you have input a "c".
>
> What happens when you press C-h k followed by
> C-M-v
> M-c
> C-v
> C-c
> ?
> (M = Alt, C = Ctrl)
>
> Greetings
>
> Malte

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-09-28 17:46             ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2006-09-28 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1159464752.277038.83270@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "mark" <mzp3769@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Below are the outputs after C-h k
>
> C-M-v:
> M-b runs the command backward-word
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
> (backward-word ARG)
>
> Move backward until encountering the beginning of a word.
> With argument, do this that many times.

You've somehow set up a keyboard translation that maps C-M-v to M-b.
Does this still happen if you run "emacs -q"?  If so, it's something
you've done to your system independent of Emacs.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-09-28 19:49           ` mark
From: mark @ 2006-09-28 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

After C-h k output is as follows

Malte Spiess wrote:
> "mark" <mzp3769@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > no, no new keyboard, doubt about a joke - only sysadmin has access to
> > my PC.
> > v displays correctyl in emacs/other apps,
> > Mark
>
> This is really strange, as it says that you have input a "c".
>
> What happens when you press C-h k followed by
> C-M-v
> M-c
> C-v
> C-c
> ?
> (M = Alt, C = Ctrl)
>
> Greetings
>
> Malte

* Re: alt v key
       [not found] ` <mailman.7449.1159299900.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-28 21:26 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2006-09-28 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

mark wrote:
> Hello,
> sysadmin just upgraded my PC to suse 10.1 and emacs to 21.3  along with
> it.
> Before the  Alt v key scrolled up but now it capitalizes. How can I set
> it up to have
> the previous binding?
> Thanks,
> Mark

Mark,

Start "xkeycaps", and then press Alt-v, on the physical keyboard.
Do the alt and v keys light up on the on-screen keyboard?

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-09-29 17:45   ` mark
From: mark @ 2006-09-29 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Coli,
I installed xkeycaps -  it did not recognize the vendor (ie The X.Org
Foundation from Dell)
so I entered L101 which it probably is. Alt v lights up on the
on-screen keyboard.
Mark

@ 2006-09-29 17:49               ` mark
From: mark @ 2006-09-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

with emacs -nw -q Alt v  I get ö instead,
Mark

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <1159464752.277038.83270@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "mark" <mzp3769@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Below are the outputs after C-h k
> >
> > C-M-v:
> > M-b runs the command backward-word
> >    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
> > (backward-word ARG)
> >
> > Move backward until encountering the beginning of a word.
> > With argument, do this that many times.
>
> You've somehow set up a keyboard translation that maps C-M-v to M-b.
> Does this still happen if you run "emacs -q"?  If so, it's something
> you've done to your system independent of Emacs.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

* Re: alt v key
@ 2006-10-07 19:22     ` Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2006-10-07 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"mark" <mzp3769@yahoo.com> writes:

> after Ctrl-h k Alt-v
> M-c runs the command capitalize-word

hi mark, i think that someone (usual suspect is gnome) is playing with
your xkb configuration

try turning off xkb altogether (i did it! and i got back my
keyboard...)

what it takes is editing xorg.conf,

1) modify the server layout introducing to the server another keyboard

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Another Keyboard"
    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

2) define another keyboard, where xkb is disabled
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Another Keyboard"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option         "CoreKeyboard"