* (auto-fill-mode 1) in .emacs not adequate to stay in Auto Fill Mode?
@ 2008-11-29 17:25 seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-11-29 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tested a ONE LINE .emacs containing this:

(auto-fill-mode 1)

When I opened Emacs with no file and /or a *.log file, it was NOT in
Auto Fill Mode?

Why is that?

Chris

* Re: (auto-fill-mode 1) in .emacs not adequate to stay in Auto Fill Mode?
@ 2008-11-30  1:37 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-11-30  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article
<248d7195-1f72-4151-8d90-946fe2a9c4f0@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
 "seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> I tested a ONE LINE .emacs containing this:
>
> (auto-fill-mode 1)
>
> When I opened Emacs with no file and /or a *.log file, it was NOT in
> Auto Fill Mode?
>
> Why is that?
>
> Chris

That command just sets auto-fill mode in the current buffer, which is
the *scratch* buffer at the time the .emacs is being executed.  It
doesn't affect other buffers.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA