In article , rustom wrote: > On Jan 6, 7:29 pm, Kevin Rodgers wrote: > > rustom wrote: > > > But I still wonder what shell is running in windows emacs? > > > > ,----[ C-h v shell-file-name RET ] > > | shell-file-name is a variable defined in `src/callproc.c'. > > | Its value is "/bin/bash" > > > Thanks. Thats the variable I was looking for. > It turns out to be /path/to/emacs/bin/cmdproxy.exe > Changing it to c:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe makes it work as expected (by a > unix user) > > I wonder does emacs go out of its way to make life difficult for a > windows user? MS does a good job of this without help from emacs :-) > I mean 'cmd' has one expected behavior; shell has another. Why make > the 'shell' variable point to a cmd imitation? I think the expectation is that shell-command should behave similarly to typing the command in the system's normal command line interface. Why would a Windows user expect Unix-like behavior? -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***