* emacs not loading package via load-path
@ 2012-08-08 20:04 Ferdinand
From: Ferdinand @ 2012-08-08 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

I would like to use ESS (emacs speaks statistics).
Therefore I put the ess-site.el in a directory that I added to the load-path variable in my .emacs file:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/documents/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/")
(require ’ess-site)

This doesn't work. I get an error on startup (Symbol's value as variable is void: ’ess-site)
and I can't open an R session which tells me that the crucial .el file was not loaded.

When I load the ess-site.el manually or add this to .emacs:
(load "~/documents/sonstiges/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/ess-site.el")
it all works fine.

I don't have any other load-path things in my .emacs file.

So what am I doing wrong?

(I am using emacs 24.1 on mac OS X)

thanks for any help!

* Re: emacs not loading package via load-path
@ 2012-08-08 21:34 ` Jack Kelly
From: Jack Kelly @ 2012-08-08 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferdinand; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 6:04 AM, Ferdinand <Ferdinand.Gruebler@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use ESS (emacs speaks statistics).
> Therefore I put the ess-site.el in a directory that I added to the load-path variable in my .emacs file:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/documents/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/")
> (require ’ess-site)
>

> This doesn't work. I get an error on startup (Symbol's value as variable is void: ’ess-site)
> and I can't open an R session which tells me that the crucial .el file was not loaded.
>
> When I load the ess-site.el manually or add this to .emacs:
> (load "~/documents/sonstiges/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/ess-site.el")
> it all works fine.

These paths are not the same, and I don't know if that's an error in
your email or in your .emacs. (The second has "sonstiges" between
"documents" and "emacs".)

-- Jack

* Re: emacs not loading package via load-path
@ 2012-08-08 21:47   ` Ferdinand
From: Ferdinand @ 2012-08-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> These paths are not the same, and I don't know if that's an error in
> your email or in your .emacs.

sorry, that was a typo.

I meant to write:

>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/documents/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/")

and

@ 2012-08-08 21:47 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2012-08-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 10:04:02PM +0200, Ferdinand wrote:

> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/documents/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/")
> (require ’ess-site)

[...]

> When I load the ess-site.el manually or add this to .emacs:
> (load "~/documents/sonstiges/emacs/load on startup/ess/lisp/ess-site.el")
> it all works fine.

Stupid question: the two paths above are different, is that a typo?

--
Suvayu

* Re: emacs not loading package via load-path
@ 2012-08-08 22:52   ` Ferdinand
From: Ferdinand @ 2012-08-08 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> Stupid question: the two paths above are different, is that a typo?

yes, sorry for that…

The path is actually the same in my .emacs …

still not working :(

       [not found] <mailman.6594.1344456250.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-08-09  2:16 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-08-09  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)