In article , Nordlöw wrote: > (append) does not modify its first argument which is what I want. > > I can solve it through > (setq x (append x y)) > > but before I create this new function for this I just wanted to make > sure that no such function already exists.... nconc is like append, but modifies the first argument. But you still have to use (setq x (nconc x y)), in case x is initially the empty list, because you can't modify the empty list in place. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***