From: Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Forcing a mode
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 20:58:48 -0400	[thread overview]

In article <slrnefek3h.onm.oudeis@isis.thalatta>,
 Will Parsons <oudeis@nodomain.invalid> wrote:

> Phillip Lord wrote:
> > You can do this with file variables. Sticking
> >

> > ;; -*- mode: tcl -*-
> >
> > as the first line of the file should work.
>
> I've always used:
>
>    #-*-tcl-*-
>
> Is there any reason the longer form with "mode: " should be preferred?

Your version is the archaic syntax, which was used when the only thing
you could configure in the mode line was the major mode.  It was later
generalized to allow a number of options to be configured, so the
for compatibility.

It should continue to be supported forever, so if you prefer it there's
nothing really wrong with it.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA