* emacs minibuffer window is not active
@ 2008-01-29 21:25 goku
From: goku @ 2008-01-29 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I started the emacs.  Now I am trying to click on the minibuffer to
type something.  I am getting:

emacs minibuffer window is not active

your help very much appreciated.

* Re: emacs minibuffer window is not active
@ 2008-01-29 21:55 ` Joost Diepenmaat
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-01-29 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

goku <masterofquestions@gmail.com> writes:

> I started the emacs.  Now I am trying to click on the minibuffer to
> type something.  I am getting:
>
> emacs minibuffer window is not active
>
> your help very much appreciated.

If I do that right after starting emacs, the *Messages* buffer opens. It
certainly does not allow me to type "something". On my system, clicking
on the minibuffer only changes focus to it; it won't allow you to type
away unless it's already expecting input.

If you want to enter a command in the minibuffer, type "M-x" (Alt-x) and
type. If you want to do something else, please explain.

Joost.

* Re: emacs minibuffer window is not active
@ 2008-01-30  5:35 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-01-30  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article
<176649e4-8446-47c4-afec-f8f15ac0f54c@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
 goku <masterofquestions@gmail.com> wrote:

> I started the emacs.  Now I am trying to click on the minibuffer to
> type something.  I am getting:
>
> emacs minibuffer window is not active
>
> your help very much appreciated.

What are you trying to accomplish with this?  The minibuffer is only
used for entering responses to questions.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA