From: Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:46:59 -0400	[thread overview]

In article <877jgh5nzu.fsf@narke.yellow.line>,
 Steven Woody <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:

> everyone knows that a Ctrl-e will move the cursor to the end of current
> statement, but in Emacs Lisp mode, it seems no the true to me. Created a .el
> file and typed in something like below,
>
>   (setq a 1)
>   (setq b 2)
>
> then, i put the cursor on the begin of the first sentence, the do a Ctrl-e,
> the cursor will unexpectedly go to the end of the second sentence!  has anyone
> encountered this kind of problem?  i like to share your solution.  thanks!

Control-e normally goes to the end of the current *line*.  Are you
talking about Meta-e?  Sentences end with a ".", "!", or "?" character
followed by whitespace, with an optional close quote or close
parenthesis after the punctuation.  Your example doesn't have any of
these, so it goes to the end of the paragraph.

Most of the commands that deal with Lisp expressions are Meta-Control.
E.g. M-C-e will go to the end of the current function definition.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA