* NT Emacs Latin & cyrillic script
@ 2003-04-10 17:19 Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2003-04-10 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I'm a beginner with emacs ...

I've downloaded a precompiled version of 21.2 and installed it.
Everything is working well, even auctex (on Win2k).

But I would like to input and display latin and cyrillic scripts
simultaneously. I've read a lot of docs but now I'm more confused than
before.

It should be possible to input cyrillic easily with my keyboard. It
should display correctly as cyrillic, and it should be possible to TeX
it (say T2A encoding). And I want to be able to switch to latin back.

Does the language/keyboard support which I've activated in Win2k help?
Or is this independent of emacs?

How can I achieve this? Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere?

Ulrich

* Re: NT Emacs Latin & cyrillic script
@ 2003-04-10 20:19 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-04-10 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ulrich,

"Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:
> I've downloaded a precompiled version of 21.2 and installed it.
> Everything is working well, even auctex (on Win2k).
>
> But I would like to input and display latin and cyrillic scripts
> simultaneously. I've read a lot of docs but now I'm more confused than
> before.
>
> [...]
>
> Does the language/keyboard support which I've activated in Win2k help?
> Or is this independent of emacs?

It helps, but it is independent of Emacs.  Because Emacs doesn't (yet)
use Unicode input, in addition to tell the OS to *send* cyrillic
keyboard input, you need to tell Emacs to switch *interpreting*
keyboard input in cyrillic.

So first you use set-keyboard-coding-system (C-x RET k) to switch
Emacs to cyrillic, than you use the languages menu on the taskbar (or
a Windows keyboard shortcut, if you have assigned one) to switch the
OS.  You do it the other way around to switch out of cyrillic.

One problem is that 21.2 doesn't have the appropriate coding system
for cyrillic on Windows (cp1251) [*] which you need as a parameter for
set-keyboard-coding-system.  You can get it from Emacs CVS
(lisp/international/code-pages.el) but last I tried that version with
Emacs 21.2 it required some support files and tweaking.  Mail me for
details if you want to pursue this and you can't get it to work.

  [*] Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.  And no, cp1251
  doesn't seem to be compatible with iso8859-5.

An alternative would of course be to get Emacs from CVS and compile it
yourself, if you can do that.

> It should be possible to input cyrillic easily with my keyboard. It
> should display correctly as cyrillic, and it should be possible to
> TeX it (say T2A encoding). And I want to be able to switch to latin
> back.

I don't know about TeX specific issues.

Hope this helps, benny

* Re: NT Emacs Latin & cyrillic script
@ 2003-04-11  7:45   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-04-11  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Benjamin Riefenstahl <Benjamin.Riefenstahl@epost.de> writes:

> One problem is that 21.2 doesn't have the appropriate coding system
> for cyrillic on Windows (cp1251) [*]
>
>   [*] Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Codepage 1251 support has been in codepage.el since 20.4

* RE: NT Emacs Latin & cyrillic script
@ 2003-04-11  9:07 Dmitri.Minaev
       [not found] ` <mailman.4442.1050069602.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2003-04-11  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Benjamin,

To enable cp1251 codepage in Emacs/MULE, add to .emacs the following:

   (codepage-setup 1251)
   (define-coding-system-alias 'windows-1251 'cp1251)
   (set-selection-coding-system 'cp1251)

That should be enough to use cp1251 coding system.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

@ 2003-04-11 11:08 Dmitri.Minaev
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2003-04-11 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Ulrich,

I'd dare to say that the optimal way is to use Emacs/MULE and switch
keyboard layout with MULE, not with the system tools. It lets you type texts
in different character encodings -- 'cyrillic-alternativnyj' (cp866, MS-DOS
Cyrillic), 'cyrillic-koi8' (U*IX Cyrillic) or 'cp1251' (Windows Cyrillic).
To enable cp1251 support, add to .emacs:

   (codepage-setup 1251)
   (define-coding-system-alias 'windows-1251 'cp1251)
   (set-selection-coding-system 'cp1251)

As for the fonts, probably, you could find GNU intlfonts useful (see
http://www.gnu.org/directory/intlfonts.html ).

In LaTeX, you are supposed to use Babel to enable Cyrillic letters in your
document. Here's a typical preamble of a Russian LaTeX document:

\usepackage[cp1251]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
\usepackage[english,russian]{babel}

Note that in the first line you can use other encodings, like koi8-r or
cp866 to indicate the encoding you used to type the source file.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

@ 2003-04-11 13:46 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
       [not found] ` <mailman.4442.1050069602.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-04-11 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dmitri, Ulrich,

Dmitri.Minaev@britishcouncil.ru writes:
> To enable cp1251 codepage in Emacs/MULE, add to .emacs the following:
>
>    (codepage-setup 1251)

Ah, yes I forgot to check that.  Yes this works on 21.2, thanks for
the hint.

Ulrich, with this statement in your ~/.emacs, does the rest of my
instructions do what you wanted?

so long, benny

@ 2003-04-11 15:23   ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2003-04-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've tried both. I succeeded to input cyrillic chars.
But the TeXing went all wrong. ;-(

Ulrich

@ 2003-04-11 16:24     ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-04-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ulrich,

"Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:
> I've tried both. I succeeded to input cyrillic chars.

Good.

> But the TeXing went all wrong. ;-(

Can't help you there, sorry.

so long, benny