* Emacs (Windows version) slow when transferring large amount of text over pty or pipe
@ 2014-10-11 19:04 speech.free
From: speech.free @ 2014-10-11 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am debugging a clang based completer. The completer running as a sub-process sends a large amount of text (about 1.8M) to emacs over a pty or pipe connection. The emacs connection buffer is about 4k, as seen from logging, that is the process filter is called for every 4k of text. The text is inserted into the process buffer and accumulated there and an EOT string is repeatedly searched for. Receiving the whole transfer takes close to 30 seconds, rendering the completer useless. The same problem is not seen on Linux. Any suggestion on why this is and how to deal with it? I have GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN.

* Re: Emacs (Windows version) slow when transferring large amount of text over pty or pipe
@ 2014-10-12  1:11 ` Alexis
       [not found] ` <mailman.11020.1413079847.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alexis @ 2014-10-12  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

speech.free@gmail.com writes:

> I am debugging a clang based completer. The completer running as a
> sub-process sends a large amount of text (about 1.8M) to emacs over a
> pty or pipe connection. The emacs connection buffer is about 4k, as
> seen from logging, that is the process filter is called for every 4k
> of text. The text is inserted into the process buffer and accumulated
> there and an EOT string is repeatedly searched for. Receiving the
> whole transfer takes close to 30 seconds, rendering the completer
> useless. The same problem is not seen on Linux. Any suggestion on why
> this is and how to deal with it? I have GNU Emacs 24.3.1
> (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)

Perhaps related:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-10/msg00055.html

Alexis.

* Re: Emacs (Windows version) slow when transferring large amount of text over pty or pipe
@ 2014-10-12  1:43 ` speech.free
       [not found] ` <mailman.11020.1413079847.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: speech.free @ 2014-10-12  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Someone on Reddit has pointed out this bug:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2014-10/msg00159.html

My delay largely went away after I (setq w32-pipe-read-delay 0).

@ 2014-10-12  4:53   ` speech.free
From: speech.free @ 2014-10-12  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you. This one seems to help just a little bit, but every little bit counts for a completer. Still on the same computer one would expect transferring 1.8M to be sub 1 sec instead of close to 2 sec right now.