From: gerlach <jack@aiai.de>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: set the highlight color when searching
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 21:57:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 14.05.2013 21:23, schrieb gerlach:
> Am 14.05.2013 17:55, schrieb gerlach:

>> [X] Foreground: white      (sample)
>>
>> where "sample" is blue colored! The "white" didn't take effekt. Why?
>
> some hours later I made some further tests:
> green works, black, too! And red also, but not white and yellow! Who has
> programmed such nonsense? All useful colors are blocked!?!?!

In another test I saved "black" as background and got "black" in .emacs
but red in emacs search !?!?! I tested all colors changing

  (custom-set-faces
  '(isearch ((((class color) (min-colors 8)) (:background "white"
:foreground "black"))))

background entry. Only "green" appears as green, all other colors change
to other colors! What a mess! Inserting "white" results in blue (cyan)
background, and in combination with foreground black (that appears as
black, what a surprise!)  I CAN WORK!!! Black on cyan is readable!!! GREAT!

As next "isearch-fail" was also unreadable , red background and grey
foreground. I went to configuration with
M-x customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET
and saved somewhat color for background.  I looked at my .emacs file and
detected:

'(isearch-fail ((((class color) (min-colors 8)) (:background "red")))))

I tested all possible colors yellow, black, green, .... All colors
appeard in other color like observed with "isearch", inserting "cyan1"
instead von red  I get  lightblue (=cyan) at isearch-fail. And I CAN
READ IT AND I CAN WORK! What surprise and what a mess ...

After I detected that "isearch" was resetted to magenta background ...,
I looked at .emacs and indeed: emacs config has manipulated the colors
in isearch entry although I didn' change "isearch" in  M-x
customize-apropos-faces RET isearch RET !! What mess, bugs-over-bugs ...
  in
emacs 23.3+1-1ubuntu9.1

Eckard