* To Byte Compile or not Byte Compile...that is the question
@ 2002-09-25 15:47 Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2002-09-25 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all:

I have a relatively small site-lisp directory, holding about 20 files.

Does Byte compiling those files improve performance in any noticeable way?

Thanks in advance!

* Re: To Byte Compile or not Byte Compile...that is the question
@ 2002-09-25 17:54 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-09-25 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <amsls6$3u8$1@tilde.itg.ti.com>,
Javier Oviedo <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a relatively small site-lisp directory, holding about 20 files.
>
>Does Byte compiling those files improve performance in any noticeable way?

The number of files is irrelevant, what matters is how often the functions
they define are used, and how big those functions are.

Byte compiling generally can't hurt, it can only help, so there's little
reason *not* to compile them.  The only excuse I can think of would be that
you might forget to recompile after making a change, so users would
continue to load the old version.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: To Byte Compile or not Byte Compile...that is the question
@ 2002-09-26  7:51   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-09-26  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Barry Margolin wrote:

>  In article <amsls6$3u8$1@tilde.itg.ti.com>,
>  Javier Oviedo <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I have a relatively small site-lisp directory, holding about 20 files.
> >
> >Does Byte compiling those files improve performance in any noticeable way?
>
>  The number of files is irrelevant, what matters is how often the functions
>  they define are used, and how big those functions are.
>
>  Byte compiling generally can't hurt, it can only help, so there's little
>  reason *not* to compile them.  The only excuse I can think of would be that
>  you might forget to recompile after making a change, so users would
>  continue to load the old version.

This can be avoided by adding a mechanism which automatically byte-compiles an
elisp-file after saving.

Ciao
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: To Byte Compile or not Byte Compile...that is the question
@ 2002-09-26 19:40 ` GI
From: GI @ 2002-09-26 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, if you're really concerned about performance, I'd suggest you "preload" these files (in which case it doesn't matter if you bytecompile or not).

Use temacs to dump out an executable which already has these files preloaded. It saves a lot of time. It's outalined in the "Building emacs" section of the Elisp manual (21.1 +)

GI

PS: Thanks to all who promptly responded to my query about compiling a light emacs. The prompt and helpful emails was much appriciated.