* Emacs: file-error "Cannot open load file" "cc-mode"
@ 2002-09-12 13:24 Magnus Mager
From: Magnus Mager @ 2002-09-12 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there!

I'am using GNU-Emacs 21.2 on both my home machine and my notebook.
On my host machine it works fine, but on my notebook the following fails:
- When I open an c/cpp file the status line says: file-error "Cannot open
load file" "cc-mode".
- When I want to switch into the gnus mode it says: Cannot open load file:
gnus.

What have I done wrong duiring installation?

Thanks.

Magnus

* Re: Emacs: file-error "Cannot open load file" "cc-mode"
@ 2002-09-12 13:51 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Magnus Mager <magnus-m@gmx.net> writes:

> I'am using GNU-Emacs 21.2 on both my home machine and my notebook.
> On my host machine it works fine, but on my notebook the following fails:
> - When I open an c/cpp file the status line says: file-error "Cannot open
> load file" "cc-mode".
> - When I want to switch into the gnus mode it says: Cannot open load file:
> gnus.
>
> What have I done wrong duiring installation?

You have done something wrong, but who knows what.  How did you
install Emacs on your notebook?

Possible cause: you compiled Emacs for installation directory foo and
then copied into directory bar.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Emacs: file-error "Cannot open load file" "cc-mode"
@ 2002-09-12 14:53 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-09-12 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:24:47 +0200, Magnus Mager <magnus-m@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Hi there!
>
>I'am using GNU-Emacs 21.2 on both my home machine and my notebook.
>On my host machine it works fine, but on my notebook the following fails:
>- When I open an c/cpp file the status line says: file-error "Cannot open
>load file" "cc-mode".
>- When I want to switch into the gnus mode it says: Cannot open load file:
>gnus.
>
>What have I done wrong duiring installation?

Is it Emacs-NT? If so, have you run addpm.exe on both?

* Re: Emacs: file-error "Cannot open load file" "cc-mode"
@ 2002-09-12 21:02   ` Magnus Mager
From: Magnus Mager @ 2002-09-12 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe wrote:

> Is it Emacs-NT? If so, have you run addpm.exe on both?

No it's the linux version.

@ 2002-09-12 21:17   ` Magnus Mager
From: Magnus Mager @ 2002-09-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> You have done something wrong, but who knows what.  How did you
> install Emacs on your notebook?
>
> Possible cause: you compiled Emacs for installation directory foo and
> then copied into directory bar.
>
> kai

I've installed it by first compiling it on my host machine and then
installing it via nfs on my notebook (where /mnt on the host is / on the
laptop:

./configure --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --without-x --prefix=/usr/local &&
make CFLAGS=-m386 &&
make prefix=/mnt/usr/local install

@ 2002-09-13 11:49     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-13 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Magnus Mager <magnus-m@gmx.net> writes:

> I've installed it by first compiling it on my host machine and then
> installing it via nfs on my notebook (where /mnt on the host is / on the
> laptop:
>
> ./configure --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu --without-x --prefix=/usr/local &&
> make CFLAGS=-m386 &&
> make prefix=/mnt/usr/local install

This is looking good.  Yet, Emacs doesn't find its Lisp files.  How
about you run strace on Emacs to see which files it tries to open?

You could also type load-path, then C-j, in the *scratch* buffer.
Maybe it contains bogus directory names.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)